Two joyous rabbits called Flipsy and Flopsy were bounding through a southern isle, frolicking in the late sunshine and falling leaves, hopping over mushrooms and nibbling at colourful carrots. Suddenly, they found themselves before an enormous stage, stunned, and they looked up to see a dancing woman projected above their heads. Her colourful legs parted as a figure appeared from the screen, who rolled from the stage in an oversized hamster ball over the heads of the wide-eyed, bushy-tailed rabbits and into a crowd filled with creatures from elves and unicorns to genies and caterpillars. One caterpillar enticed the bunnies, and Flipsy and Flopsy started to dance under a rainbow that descended above their long bunny ears. Their blue eyes glittered in amazement at the striped tents that towered above their little heads, and they bounced for joy like never before. They had stumbled into Bestival as The Flaming Lips began the journey of their unforgettable performance, for if this was anywhere else I would have discarded their story as myth.

The Flaming Lips raced through their psychedelic minds and unleashed the musical accompaniment unto us, blowing away everything in front of the stage with a whirlwind of emotion

The Flaming Lips gave Bestival goers an experience which was as beautiful as it was confusing and as colourful as it was loud. They raced through their psychedelic minds and unleashed the musical accompaniment unto us, blowing away everything in front of the stage with a whirlwind of emotion. Through fuzzy riffs, distorted voices, and numerous animal impressions, The Flaming Lips opened their parachute of ‘Do You Realise?’ and brought the entire crown softly gliding back to Earth, not one without a smile.

Flipsy and Flopsy bunny-jived their way over to the Wishing Tree and Chai Wallah tent’s miraculous mixing and beats that could shift tectonic plates. Stumbling over a rabbit hole, they decided to venture down, popping up in a magical meadow. This was actually the Magic Meadow where Alice in Wonderland figures dotted the pathways, and the Rock and Roll stage showcased New Young Pony Club, Mount Kimbie and the amazing Lizzie. Playing endearing Americana style rock folk, Lizzie had everyone clinging to the ‘sustain’ of her electric guitar.

Feeling energetic, they scampered as fast as their little bunny legs would take them up a hill and into the woods where tiny tents played big music as people skiffled to the beat, in the most relaxed and colourful area of Bestival. Sculptures snuggled between trees, free tea and cakes were abundant and the stars were clearly dancing above above their heads; the two bunnies had to stop to take it all in.

From time to time fire erupted from a giant metallic spider which encased the stage itself

Standing over a twinkling view of the whole of Bestival, Flipsy and Flopsy lovingly joined hands and at that very instant an enormous gust of wind swept them from the hillside, up into the air, and down onto the Arcadia stage. Shit just got serious. With sets from Darwin Deez and Todd Edwards, this stage was so full of movement and energy that from time to time fire erupted from a giant metallic spider which encased the stage itself.

Flipsy and Flopsy’s experience of Bestival continued with The Prodigy following up after Chase and Status on the main stage with brilliant energy, despite performing the same set they have done for years. However a real highlight were the Wailers, with their endless summertime good vibes, reeling off Marley hits and lifting everyone to high spirits. The xx, having just won the Mercury Prize, performed flawlessly despite the overpopulated Big Top tent. The Big Top tent also revealed to the adventurous rabbits the likes of Skream, Jonsi, Fever Ray and the riot fuelled LCD Soundsystem, all of which broke bones, hearts and vocal chords, giving Bestival everything it could have wished for.

Strolling out of Caribou’s set would have exposed a huge firework display above a flaming castle, spreading the magic to the sky as everyone congregated together in a final showdown of the fantastic and wonderful versus the world. These two rabbits had learned an awful lot in such a small space of time; they were so happy that they decided that they would hop and hop and spread the love they had gained at Bestival knowing full well that there was enough love there to last a lifetime.