The Institute for Mathematical Sciences (IMS) has been restructured, and will be moved out of its home at 53 Prince’s Gardens into a uncertain future as the Faculty of Natural Sciences “rationalises” its resources. The previous model has been deemed unsustainable and a new model is being investigated by the Faculty.

The IMS was launched in 2004 by then Rector Sir Richard Sykes. At the time, he commented: “The creation of an Institute for Mathematical Sciences at Imperial, which brings together leading mathematicians from different research sectors, will provide the essential mathematical underpinning for much of our future innovation.”

Several senior figures behind the Institute have declined to comment on the developments, including the Institute’s Director Professor Darryl Holm, but a College spokesperson said “the changes are in line with the Faculty’s aims to ensure resources are rationalised.”

Despite the College’s guarantee that “all of the existing research programmes and activities of the Institute of Mathematical Sciences will continue”, the only event listed on the institute’s relevant webpage took place in February 2008 and an attempt to discover ‘What’s On’ leads to an web page error. Their web page hasn’t been updated since May 2010.

The Institute’s activities were funded by a grant from the David and Elaine Potter Charitable Foundation, an organization that ‘seeks to achieve an impact through grants that promote reason, education, and human rights.’ The College has said that “The Faculty [of Natural Sciences] will ensure that [the IMS’] activities will continue to be built upon under the new structure.”

There is no information as yet about what 53 Prince’s Gardens will be used for but it seems that the Institute of Mathematical Sciences (after the Life Sciences restructure) is the latest victim of the Faculty of Natural Science’s desire to ensure that its “research activities are sustainably structured.”