Isn’t it about time that everyone gave Wayne Rooney a break? Let’s get things straight from the off. I am not going to try to defend some of Rooney’s actions over the past few months: some of his off-field behaviour is quite simply indefensible.

As for his form, just go easy on Shrek. The age old saying that form is temporary and class is permanent will certainly stand up in this case. Yes, Wayne had a bad World Cup, yes, his form for Manchester United since his injury against Bayern Munich in March has been questionable. But he is the most talented English footballer of his generation and he is carrying a United side as weak as any since they first won the Premier League under Ferguson. Carrying not only the nation’s hopes, but one having the additional weight of one of the world’s biggest clubs on your shoulders is enough to wear anyone down.

It is important to remember that not only is Rooney no Ronaldo (in terms of pure footballing ability – Rooney more than makes up for this in his dedication and work rate) but in this weak united team there is no Rooney or T*** from Argentina to support him.

Last week, after announcing he wanted to leave Old Trafford for pastures new Rooney made a miraculous reversal and signed himself a new £250,000 a week contract. Should this make him Public Enemy Number One? No. All he has done is negotiate a fair deal for a player of his quality. In comparison to £250,000 a week for Yaya Toure of Man City, it seems a bargain. At the £90,000 a week he was on before, Rooney was arguably the best value for money player in any major European league.

Now for United fans. Should they be getting up and shouting abuse at him for his apparent disregard for their club? Again, almost certainly not – Wayne Rooney has arguably done the club a huge favour. With Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Van de Saar set to retire in the near future significant investment in the squad is essential to keep up with the likes of Chelsea and their noisy neighbours. Rooney has single handedly forced the Glazers to cough up some money to invest in high quality replacements who are ready to win league titles now and for this United fans should be singing his praise.