Former Imperial College Rector, Sir Richard Sykes, has been appointed to the position of new Chairman of the Royal Institution (RI) to succeed former Chairman Andrian de Ferranti.

After unanimous backing from Trustees of the organisation, following Sir Richardís nomination at a RI Council meeting on 13th September 2010, his position as Chairman was announced only three days later.

Chris Rofe, Chief Executive of the RI had the following to say: “This appointment affirms the Royal Institution’s commitment both to our members and to the scientific community as a whole. Sir Richard’s extensive experience and formidable reputation in science, business and education means that he is ideally placed to lead the organisation. I look forward to his advice, support and leadership as we continue to deliver our strategy.”

This appointment affirms the Royal Institution’s commitment both to our members and to the scientific community as a whole Chris Rofe, Chief Executive of the RI

Sir Richard, also former chairman of pharmaceuticals giant GlaxoSmithKine and current chairman of the UK Stem Cell Foundation, issued a statement saying: “I am delighted to become Chairman at such an important juncture in the history of the Royal Institution. This is a crucial era for science in society and our role as home for the promotion of science is a critical one.” He added to this, “Adrian de Ferranti has been an outstanding Chairman, we wish him well and thank him for his valuable contribution to the RI. I am delighted to accept the role of Chairman and to work with the Council to represent the interests of our members and to support the chief executive and the management team to drive the organisation forward.”

The Royal Institution is the oldest independent research institute in the world, and has been associated with many scientific figures including Sir Humphry Davy and Michael Faraday. Recent accounts filed to the Charity Commission in July, however, show that the Royal Institution is facing serious debt of more than £2m. As new chairman, Sir Richard will now be responsible for the administration of fundraising of the organisation and its development. Sir Paul Nurse, incoming president of the Royal Society, believes Sir Richard will be able to relieve the long standing financial stresses incurred, “This appointment will give strong leadership and much needed stability to the Royal Institution. I wish him and the institution well.”