Now I know that for most people a night out consists of drinking and dancing followed by some form of fast food and a hangover that could slay a rhino. I must confess that I am all in favor of that plan in that precise order; however it’s taken another night out with the Leonardo Fine Art Society to show me that this isn’t necessarily the only way to do it.

Out in the dark depths of Shoreditch lies a bar. Within the bar there are all sorts of people chilling out and unwinding on various comfy sofas with the odd stack of books here and there. Under the bar is a cellar full of nude life models and a large number of people drawing, chatting and drinking to some form of ethereal background noise.

Under the bar is a cellar full of nude life models and a large number of people drawing, chatting and drinking to some form of ethereal background noise

The bar is called ‘The Book Club’ and it is one of London’s various arty bars that can always guarantee an interesting night. The life drawing session is not on every day but occurs a few nights a year and is definitely something to be experienced. In the instance of my visit, the bar was celebrating its eighth birthday by running one of these sessions for a mere pound! Sadly this fee did not include the drinks; however you can’t have everything, so sometimes a person must suck it up and buy their own.

The bar itself is not especially remarkable as bars go, but that’s not to say it isn’t pleasant and relaxing. The real excitement though lies downstairs through an archway covered by black curtains next to a pool table and an ancient arcade machine. Through the arch is a warm red brick walled room with various arches and doorways jutting out here and there. Stacks of dusty old volumes lay scattered about with one wall in a darkened area apparently made of them, while if you care to look up, the ceiling appears to be completely covered in small white globes which, on closer inspection, turn out to be several hundred old light bulbs. To top it off is a small modern looking bar, the preferred beverage of which seems to be wine. Definitely not the place for a pint of cheap lager!

This would be the bar as it stands on the average evening, however on the evening of the life drawing it was topped off by the addition of about eight models (male and female), nude but with the addition of all variety of strange garments including feathers, spandex and all things alternative.

The atmosphere is not a solemn one. People are there to unwind and enjoy themselves, so you may choose to sit and draw quietly or have a quiet chat whilst the poses are on, followed by a much louder chat in the breaks. I guess the sight of a number of models sipping pints at the bar, safe in the knowledge that everyone in the room has already seen everything and thus not bothering to cover up, is an image that sticks in the mind.

You don’t have to be a brilliant artist to go, just a little open minded and up for a bit of fun. Isn’t that what a night out should be?

The Book Club is currently running as normal, but advertises a series of regular events including dance and music as well as the life drawing. So if you’re struggling to think of something to make a memorable night out, have a look and see what they’re up to at.

www.wearetbc.com. Who knows what you’ll find!