As an Imperial student, the Royal Albert Hall can easily become a mundane and constant feature of our university lives. It’s by no means an ugly building but, after almost three and half years at Imperial, I scarcely give it a cursory glance. Last Sunday, after experiencing The Cinematic Orchestra perform within its circled walls, I found a renewed appreciation for our illustrious neighbour.

The Cinematic Orchestra last performed at the Royal Albert Hall in 2007 and the night had the air of a triumphant return (an extremely cold triumphant return but triumphant nonetheless). They were as impressive as I expected, but before they took to the stage, we had a couple of delicious appetizers.

The London Metropolitan Orchestra opened and, from my seat in Choir behind the stage, for the first time I understood the complexity and skill of the orchestra and the conductor. Strangely enough, I think because I was there of my accord (instead of being coerced by my keen-to-be-cultured parents) I was more open-minded about the classical music and more able to enjoy it. Although trying to explain to the steward, as I waited to return to my seat after using the bathroom, that there were two separate ‘orchestras’ performing that night but only one was an actual orchestra was slightly infuriating…

Next on the menu was Dorian Concept. I’m rather embarrassed to admit that, for me, his music was slightly overshadowed by the London Metropolitan Orchestra’s performance. Compared with the rich, multi-layered classical melodies, his somewhat flat post-rock didn’t play my ears with quite the same dexterity. Although things turned for the better when he moved to scat jazz his drummer unfortunately stole his thunder with his frenzied bebopping.

Then finally, the main course. It’s hard to convey (impossible actually) the effect of The Cinematic Orchestra’s wistful music in the splendour of the Royal Albert Hall. The acoustics were pitch-perfect. The London Metropolitan Orchestra, who were backing them, would swoosh in to sprinkle that something extra as a song crescendoed. The vocals fizzed with emotion and when ‘To Build A Home’ was performed at the end of the set, there was nothing to do but close my eyes and self-indulge in tearful nostalgia.

As I left the Royal Albert Hall, I looked back and realized even more strongly, that although creative expression is subjective, there are some things that are brilliant and no rational person could disagree. The Royal Albert Hall as a venue is brilliant. The Cinematic Orchestra is brilliant. And The Cinematic Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall is simply sublime.