Sunday was not only for remembering those lost, but also for creating new history. The day for mourning was earmarked for the battle between two past greats; it was time for the annual C&G vs. RSM grudge match. A gloomy start saw both teams arrive an hour after the scheduled kick-off time due to the ever reliable London Transport Network.

After a quick jog from both teams and some imaginative lineout calls being thought of the game kicked-off. The engineers quickly took advantage of the RSM’s lack of pace and Sasha Maitala scored his first of two tries punching through the gaps left by the props in the miner’s back line. The engineers didn’t give the RSM time to think when a few phases later Rob Dowden slotted a kick through the eye of a needle and into the hands of Tom Beswetherick on the RSM try line, the score line rose to 14-0. The engineers made it look easy. The RSM pack hastily stepped up to the plate and produced some fabulous forward play giving RSM fly half Louie Barnét a great platform to work off. A few phases later the RSM were back in the game and the engineers looked worried.

The miners constantly used their Russian spawned battering ram Bogdan Golenkov to try and pierce the engineer’s defensive line; however the C&G had an answer in the form of James Allan and debut rugby player Lukas Michalitsch, both of whom putting in some crunching tackles to stop the beast in his tracks.

The game was closely fought with regular tries from both sides. The RSM looked like taking the lead on several occasions most notable after a well earned try from Simon Fenton in the centres (one of six props in the starting line up for the miners). Their organisation in the pack was very impressive; however, due to some great upfront tackling and some good old fashioned flare, the engineers took the victory.

The final score: 38-24 to C&G. The last time this happened was 17 years ago. The RSM have definitely got some work to do if they wish to reclaim their precious bottle. C&G have offered some coaching tips but are yet to hear back.

Man of the match went to Rob Dowden for his fantastic kicking game and special mention must also go to Sasha Maitala and Tom Beswetherick for some great performances in the backs.