The otherwise trouble-free opening night of Metric was tainted by violence after a student was forcibly ejected by stewards and a member of security staff who the Union have said “will not work at the Union again”.

The trouble began as students began to re-enter the Union after a fire alarm at around midnight. The student allegedly attacked the door staff as he re-entered the building and was as a result removed to the back of the Union. According to the Union, the student committed “criminal assault” by biting a steward on the arm. At the time of writing Felix had not received confirmation of this from the police.

However the Union have also admitted that the student was removed from the building in an “overzealous way” and that a member of security had taken an “old-fashioned attitude” to bar security and that his actions did not reflect the ethos of the Union to provide a safe place for students to enjoy themselves.

As a Felix photographer attempted to record the events, the same member of security seized his camera and threatened to smash it on the ground. The Union have described the security staff’s actions as “regrettable” and re-assured Felix that the Union is committed to protecting the freedom of press.

The Union have confirmed that major changes will be made to the security team and to “the way that we run security”, including better briefing of the staff on big nights.

The student involved didn’t wish to comment on the events.