The Department of Life Sciences came under further pressure as the Director of the influential John Innes Centre (JIC), a plant science and microbiology research institute, called the changes “misguided”. It also been revealed that the College’s annual surplus, or the profit, has almost trebled to £41.3 million for 2009-10.

In a letter sent to Ian Owens, Professor Dale Sanders outlined the JIC’s opposition to the plans, saying that the loss of plant and microbial science courses would “exacerbate the shortage of well-educated and motivated graduates”. He also criticizes the timing of the restructure saying” a major restructuring exercise at [Imperial] so soon after the move from Wye arguably strongly disadvantaged” the researchers affected by the move. His comments mirror those of Dr John Mansfield who said in a separate letter to Professor Owens: “The impact of relocation [from Wye] has not been given adequate weighting. […] To hold the view [that] there was no substantial disruption is simply an insult. […]”

Professor Sanders goes on to say that the cuts are “particularly surprising in the light of the demand for high-level research and trained researchers in precisely these fields to meet the Government research priorities in Food Security, Healthy Living, Energy, and Living with Environmental Change.” The intervention is the first major sign of public opposition to the cuts from outside Imperial.

The College’s Annual Report and Accounts for 2009-10 have also been released this week showing a massive jump in the College’s operating surplus or profit to £41.3 million. Dr M. P. Knight, Imperial’s Chief Operating Officer, describes the profit as suggesting “a solid, stable from which the College can survey the outside world”.

Further action is planned against the cuts to the Life Sciences department on Wednesday when Imperial College Union is taking a paper to Imperial College Senate, the highest body of the College. The paper demands that the restructure is immediately stopped and restarted from scratch after the teaching review.

A protest is also planned outside the meeting, which takes place at 170 Queen’s Gate. Over 200 people are listed as attending the protest on Facebook.