There are three main places that you can initially seek out help:

The Student Counselling Service offers free, confidential counselling on a short term basis to all students of Imperial College London. It is found at South Kensington, Hammersmith and Silwood Park Campuses. Appointments can be made by calling 020 7594 9637, emailing [email protected] or by going to reception on Level 4, Sherfield Building, South Kensington Campus.

The Imperial College Union Advice Centre is a confidential centre independent from the college, designed to give advice on all sorts of welfare issues, including personal safety, sexual health, alcohol and drug issues. The Centre is located in the Union building (mezzanine level.) It is open 10am-5pm Monday to Friday.

The Imperial College Health Centre provides 24 hour care for NHS registered students in conjunction with the local afterhours GP service. It is found at 40 Princes Gardens, by the South Kensington Campus. As well as general medical care (including mental health issues) students can get help with stress and study difficulties. Students can also gain access to a Consultant Psychiatrist, part-time Counsellors, Psychotherapists and Physiotherapists via referral from a member of medical staff.

Professor Denis Wright, Dean of Students at Imperial, oversees the Welfare Services at Imperial. What does he think of the services available to Imperial students? “Hopefully itís getting better, and I think itís pretty good now.”

Until last year, the number of counsellors at Imperialís Counselling Service had been consistently quite low. This was reflected in a ratio of 1 counsellor to 4375 students. This ratio was well below the Association for University and College Counselling’s recommended ratio of 1:3000, as well as ratios seen at other universities. Although he has no control over our NHS run health centre, Professor Wright made a bid to increase number of counsellors available to students by increasing their numbers at the Counselling Service. “Now we have a much healthier [ratio], but I’d still like it to be higher,” said Professor Wright.

“[The increase in number of counsellors] was in spite of the fact I had to make a 5% cut in the welfare budget. So I actually put more money into disabilities and counselling,” he explained, “We don’t know what the [spending] cuts will be like, but I’m certainly going to defend [these changes] to the hilt.” When I asked whether these services are vital to Imperial, he replied simply “Well I think so.”

“Demand for counselling is increasing slowly but steadily.” It’s difficult to pin down a specific reason for this increase; it could be greater publicity about the services offered at Imperial, greater anxiety about jobs, or a multitude of other reasons.

What is Imperialís recommendation if you have a problem? “Please go and see somebody.” The help is there from different people throughout Imperial; the wardens in your halls, your personal tutor and the confidential Student Counselling Service are just a few that are there to help.