The College’s proposals to extend the working day would have several implications in terms of the available time for extra-curricular sporting activity.

Although some might find Imperial’s location within London an advantage, for the sports teams the significant distance to the grounds and the added costs of transport has meant that certain teams have the highest budgets and travel expenses of the clubs and societies at Imperial. The latest movements towards the extension of the day has angered some involved in sport, with Netball Club Captain Bernice Cutler explaining how training at White City presents some problems in the face of an extended day: “It’s going to be quite difficult to get students there and back at a reasonable time if people are going to have lectures until 7pm.”

Imperial College Union have provided a response to the proposals, with the view that an impact on sports training would reduce Imperial’s sporting performance as a university. Neil Mosley, Head of Sports Imperial, has said that he is “supportive” of the Union’s views.

In terms of rescheduling training to different days, some clubs are evidently wary. Hockey Club Captain Ed Lacey, whose club trains on a Monday at Harlington (near Heathrow) explains that, “People don’t want to train on Tuesdays because we have matches the next day on Wednesday. Similarly for Thursday, we’ve had a match the day before and trying to get people to train on Friday night would be difficult to say the least.” Most, if not all, sports teams also play weekend matches.

Heather Jones warned that “[students] will face a decision between their club commitments and their degree. Some will be discouraged from participating in clubs because they won’t be able to fit it around their lectures whereas others will choose their club over certain lectures and will see their education suffer.”