It’s all too was easy to say that this year’s Oscars is going to be exciting but I do believe that the 51st Academy Awards are going to be a bit special. Whereas previous years have been dominated by a few strong contenders ( There Will be Blood and No Country For Old Men 2007) or a weak field (2006) or just ridiculous hysteria for one film (Slumdog Millionaire, 2009), this season’s Oscars have few clear favourites.

The Best Picture category is definitely an open race with the possibility of ten films (enlarged last year) taking home the prized statuette. See-Saw Films will be hoping that their ‘British charm’ will help them edge out main competition The Social Network who claimed victory at the Golden Globes. In reality 127 hours and True Grit, although nominated, will be out of the running due to their director’s previous successes last decade. I predict The Fighter will triumph on the night, everyone knows Hollywood loves a good boxing film (the travesty being when Rocky beat Taxi Driver to the 1976 best picture award) and it’s a classic American story of a working class man overcoming his demons to become a champion. Personally I would love it if Black Swan won Best Picture, it’s simply an incredibly gutsy piece of filmmaking both terrifying and sexy at the same time and Darren Aronofsky is due some recognition from the Academy.

Colin Firth is clear favourite for best actor and I’m sure he will take home the precious award in Febuary. James Franco could upset Firth’s chances and his performance in 127 hours could potentially woo voters. Jeff Bridges nomination is deserved but an actor has never one a Oscar two years in a row. Natalie Portman’s brilliant portrayal of a mentally unstable ballerina may well be the only statuette that Black Swan takes home however Annette Bening is a dark horse and she will be a safer option for many voting in the Academy. Best Director? It always accompanies the best film but here’s hoping Aronofsky will be lucky on the night.