Fur

What better way to combat the winter chills than to wrap up warm in a fluffy fur coat? From Paris to Milan, fur was seen in a rainbow of colours, lengths and cuts leaving us spoilt for choice. Sleek glamour shone through with a seventies vibe at Gucci in the form of rich, gem coloured, bulging furs matched with statement sunglasses. Cute baby doll dresses layered under pale fox furs made Anna Sui’s show a winter wonderland.

Miss Selfridge – £65 

Miss Selfridge – £65 

Miss Selfridge – £65 

Whether you prefer the long shaggy furs seen at Isabel Marant, or the sleeker more classic pieces at Valentino, fur is this seasons must have with the one big rule – if your coat is going to bulge ontop, ensure fluid lines flow beneath.

THE PICK:

Karl Lagerfeld brought a plethora of thick woollen pieces wrapped in rusty shades perfect for frosty walks to his show at Fendi this seaon. But among those, it was the fluffy coats that stole the show. They appeared as lustrous tufts of auburn orange, chocolate brown and silver greys all mixed into one. For a similar, but more toned down take, try Miss Selfridge’s silky tribute to the coming shades of nature.

Full Length

There was a great sense of drama and mystery this season as designers sent floor sweeping coats down the catwalks. The great coat was seen at Hermes, Jaeger London and Rodarte – all simple and perfectly tailored, with just the right amount of flow. Chanel’s burnt forest catwalk too featured ankle length knitted numbers with thick defined collars, and DSqaured2’s Western rebel girls matched tough billowing cloaks to their aggressively shaped hats and distressed denim.

Topshop – £100 

Topshop – £100 

Topshop – £100 

Giorgio Armani’s overcoats were only zipped down to the waist, allowing the smooth silk dresses that shimmered beneath to peak through contrasting the texturised detailing on the coats. Haider Ackermann upped the drama – black leather gloves and powerfully layered jackets building sharp silhouettes topped off with sky high quiffs.

Long, sleek and filled with authority, this is definitely a statement making addition to your wardrobe.

THE PICK:

In shades of slate grey with fur trimmed lapels and rough edges, Pheobe Philo’s overcoats at Celine were modern authenticity at its best. Topshop’s alternative also features a thick fluffy neckline, adding extra warmth to its moulded classic shape and tucked in waist.

Blazer

Fitting in perfectly with this season’s trend of androgyny came a sea of sharp cut suit jackets worn with a sense of purpose and power. Dolce and Gabbana pioneered the strong girl-boy look this season, striking a perfect mix between masculine toughness and feminine delicacy. Perfect white shirts fastened to the neck sat under double-breasted jackets with wide collars and velvet lapels, topped with boyish quiffs under smart trilbies. Stella McCartney’s jackets gave a new definition to power dressing - midnight black knee length blazers with rounded shoulders adding a feminine touch. Acne’s jackets were traditionally sleek - military greens and candyfloss pinks adding a twist to the classic two-piece suit.

Mango – £55 

Mango – £55 

Mango – £55 

It’s as much about the jacket this season as how it’s worn. The models at Jason Wu, Michael Kors and Paul Smith all casually tossed over their shoulders. Result? Simple and sexy. The trick? Steal your boyfriend’s blazer, sling over your shoulders, slip on a pair of heels and stride with confidence.

THE PICK:

Jason Wu’s blazers were immaculately tailored this season. His contrasting lapels and defined shoulders were copied at Mango, for only a sliver of the price.

Cape

Capes and ponchos have been a long time coming, but no one expected the masterpieces Alexander Wang created this season. Luxuriously soft cashmeres mixed with tough leathers, draped shimmering silks and quilted interiors left editors piling over themselves after his show for pieces that so cleverly combined feminine casual wear with tough outerwear. Chloe presented show stoppingly beautiful snow queen-esque pieces flung over white chiffon dresses. Marc Jacob’s cloaks were short and velvet in shimmering jewel tones, and Alber Elbaz made his longer and sleeker for a touch of sixties mystery at Lanvin. John Galliano’s last show at Christian Dior lacked no drama either as Karlie Kloss strutted down the catwalk in knee high boots, a floppy wide brimmed hat and billowing black cape swirling behind her.

Wallis – £75

Wallis – £75

Wallis – £75

Full of drama yet elegantly draped, its hard to go wrong with a cape.

THE PICK:

Emilio Pucci’s girls strutted dark mysterious pieces embellished with baroque swirls this season, calling into mind the misty forests of a fairy tale adventure. Perhaps a little less heavy, yet with just enough detail to carry you from day to night, Wallis’ version too will wrap you up perfectly for a midnight stroll.