Wednesday 12 October was a mixed day for ICHC, with the 6 teams recording 2 wins, 3 losses and a draw. The series of friendlies played against a combination of UCL and the RSM provided valuable experience for ICHC and an opportunity for the freshers to impress and show what they were capable of.

The matches at home did not end well for Imperial as Fortress Harlington failed to live up to its name. The day saw the Men’s 1s take on their UCL counterparts and record a 2-2 draw, the Men’s 2s lose 2-0 to UCL’s M2, and the Men’s 4s falter to a 7-3 defeat by the RSM.

The away matches at UCL’s pitches ended alot better. The Ladies’ 1s recorded a solid 3-0 victory before the Ladies’ 2s were humbled 5-0. The day ended with the Men’s 3s avenging that loss with their own 5-0 victory.

There is a lot expected of the Men’s 1s this year, but with the recent promotion and a large release of players, they are fully aware of how tough this year will be. The contest against UCL Men’s 1s therefore provided an opportunity to try out a host of new tactics revolving around a new system of play. These new tactics, despite being physically demanding, saw IC take a slender 1-0 lead into half time, with Ewan Quince scuttling a ball under the keeper’s pads off a short corner. The workload required by the new system did have its drawbacks, with UCL hitting back at the start of the second half to bring themselves level. A moment of brilliance from Ewan got IC back into the lead with a well taken one-on-one. Sadly, this moment of brilliance was followed by a moment of madness from goalkeeper Vishal Dhutia, who let a simple shot straight in. The final score of 2-2 was a good result for both teams.

Seeing their first team draw left the Men’s 2s hoping they could go one better. With a squad of 14, including 6 freshers, IC started the game brightly. A host of surging attacks from the right piled on the pressure and IC forced a short corner. Unfortunately, a fumble with the stop led to UCL winning the ball and scoring a breakaway goal. IC tried to get back on level terms and played very good hockey, however, they could not stop a second UCL goal; 2-0 being the final score. It was poor fitness and inaccurate passes that let the team down, and the 2s will hopefully be back to their brilliant best soon. After a draw and a loss, all the pressure was put on the Men’s 4s to ensure IC would not leave Harlington empty handed. The game began well for the 4s with the defence standing strong, but then the RSM strikers became too much and they scored two well-taken goals in quick succession. Shortly after, however, veteran 4th team member, Luke Reynolds, managed to score one of his trademark reverse stick shots. IC pressed, but unsuccessfully, and these attacks left gaps behind for the RSM to exploit. The RSM managed to hit a few more goals, but the efforts from James Peck and Luke meant that the final score of 7-3 was a respectable one, consdiering the RSM team do have some very good players. Despite losing the match, the performance was strong and there is plenty of hope for the Men’s 4s for the next season.

In the first game away to UCL, IC Ladies’ 1s took on their UCL counterparts. IC started in a panicked fashion and squandered much of their opening possession. However, it wasn’t long before IC hit their stride. Some quick passes saw Harry Stevenson open the scoring, before Teddy Middlebrook doubled the advantage. With a two goal cushion IC hit cruise control. Anytime the UCL players collected the ball, player of the match Celia Hayes broke down the attack and linked up with the midfield beautifully. The icing on the cake was a brilliant breakaway goal that Harry scored with a sweet strike. 3-0 the final score was well deserved.

The Ladies’ 2s were next up and keen to show what they could do. IC started well, but the difference in benches (UCL had 8 more subs) proved to be the biggest factor, and eventually, UCL broke down a tired IC. The final score line of 5-0 definitely flattered UCL. There were many positives to take away from the loss, with many players in the team actually playing for the first time. All the freshers performed very well, with Leslie impressing the most. Despite being a novice, she played a great game, defending fearlessly and played some fantastic balls.

The last game of the day saw the Men’s 3s take on UCL Men’s 3s in what would be the biggest IC victory of the day. UCL were on the back foot straight from the push back with IC pressing hard. IC found themselves 2-0 in 10 minutes, with Kenneth Chau and Alex Kirby both getting early goals. The defence also proved that anything the attack could do, they could do better, with Jack Tremlett and Alex Jones shutting down any UCL play. Another goal from Kenneth and a double from James Goksaran put IC 5-0 up early on in the second half, which was also how the game ended. A good result, but the team will face much sterner tests.

Imperial College Hockey Club is the most successful university hockey club in London, boasting 7 teams. We have a vibrant social life and are always looking for new players. Whether you have never picked up a stick before, or been playing since you were in nappies, come along and give us a game. We meet for training on Monday nights at 6pm in the Union. See you then!