It was recently announced that a new series of Arrested Development is in the works and will be aired at some point in the future. The plan is to then make a film. If you are anywhere near as big an AD fan (as those in the know call it – although it does make it sound a bit like a disorder) as I am you will have flipped your shit, I believe that is the technical term. Don’t worry, that is purely metaphorical shit-flipping going on.

The show centres on a family called the Bluths. Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman) is very much the most normal member of the family. He has to become the President of the Bluth Company, a property developer, after his father George Bluth Snr. (Jeffrey Tambor) is arrested. The general trials and tribulations of the eccentric Bluth family become the centre of the show. The show also has a narrator (Ron Howard – also the show’s creator) who really is almost a character in his own right and is used astutely to create hilarity.

Why the big fuss about this? That’s a very good question, I’m glad I wrote it (I’m in a smug mood). Well, basically, AD is an awesome show that’s absolutely hilarious. It’s immensely quotable in a truly unique way. It has all of these great catchphrases, in-jokes and call-backs that are impeccably put together, whilst at the same time not feeling forced. It’s those three things that really gave (dare I say gives) the show its strength. For example, in one episode they set a couple of scenes at Burger King, repeatedly say the name “Burger King” and even have a character call it a “wonderful restaurant”. The reason for this was that they were asked to set a scene in Burger King as part of a promotional deal that the network had with them. So, they sarcastically over-emphasised the advertising. It’s these Easter egg moments like that, and spotting some subtle joke or call-back that make it so re-watchable.

…special in the derogatory sense of the word.

There is however one slight problem that I have with the show returning for another series: the current 3 series are so good that I don’t want the show to be tainted by a bad 4th series. I’m not saying it will be bad, but I can’t help having this worry that it will somehow ruin the show for me. It’s stupid for me to think it, absurd even, but it does, for some reason that is difficult to explain: it will make rewatching the earlier episodes less enjoyable knowing that it show declines later on. I’d say that my feeling about the return are a mix between cautious optimism and mild worry – a bit like the constant feeling during exam period. I voice this mix of emotions here because a) I’m a pretentious twat and b) I think that this view is not too uncommon amongst AD fans (finally, for once, I’m normal – ah man, now this view is mainstream, I must immediately reverse my opinion).

Way too many TV shows have made the mistake of dragging on for too long, or doing one too many “specials”, that turn out to only be special in the more derogatory sense of the word. In fact, in terms of the absolutely classic example of this phenomenon, The Simpsons is still making this mistake and will be for another 2 series of legacy destruction. Family Guy is another possible on going example. Basically, most sitcoms make this mistake: they overstep the line; they keep doing the same thing a few too many times; and give the audience more of the thing that everyone proclaims they wish they did more of. The trouble is, people like the idea of more of the same and usually don’t actually like the reality of it. It’s a bit like when you go out: the idea of drinking another double vodka coke (I know, I exude masculinity) is fantastic, but when you grant yourself the wish you end up regretting it the next morning. Although, the analogy doesn’t extend that much, I don’t think I have ever regretted sending a TV show a text that felt like a fantastic idea at the time.

It seems like that paragraph went off on a bit of a ‘y = sin(x)/cos(x)’ yes, I made that joke. No, I promise to never do something as horrific again, you can keep reading in safety. The next paragraph will have returned to normality.

The thing that attracts people to the idea of something being done more is exactly why it shouldn’t be done. The thing they like loses its mystique. It’s no longer special and rare, it’s lost a large part of the appeal. How many expensive collectors’ items are commonplace? To use Family Guy as an example, everyone loves the original couple of Brian and Stewey episodes. If every episode were to be like that, then it would no longer be a rare treat that you occasionally get given and gratefully receive.

4th wall breaking paragraphs including terrible jokes and amateur TV watching psychologist impressions aside – let’s get back to AD. All of the characters are funny, and picking a favourite is almost impossible. I’m personally a big fan of G.O.B (Will Arnett), Michael’s older brother, an amateur magician who prefers to travel around on a Segway. Although I always find Tobias (David Cross) is guaranteed to make you laugh.

It seems like that paragraph went off on a bit of a y = sin(x)/cos(x). Yes, I made that joke.

It seems that AD is fairly popular amongst the acting community, if the cameo appearances are used as a judging mechanism. Ben Stiller plays Tony Wonder, GOB’s arrogant rival, another magician. Charlize Theron has a story arc in the 3rd season as a love interest for Michael. For reasons that will become clear after you watch the show (because you are going to watch it aren’t you? I will not reveal anything else about her character).

Talking about Charlize Theron’s character has reminded me of yet another reason why the writing is so clever. When you re-watch the show, you see things you didn’t notice before that you kick yourself for not realising. It’s like being at a live Derren Brown show when he does one of the big reveals at the end and shows you a video where he winks at a camera. For instance, Buster has a plot line (again no spoilers) that is very cleverly foreshadowed in some scenes.

What more can I say? Quite a lot actually, but I don’t really have space. I think I must give a quick, honuorable mention for Henry “The Fonz” Winkler who plays the family’s hilarious, inept lawyer. That’s the thing, it’s an ensemble cast, but all the characters are well developed, interesting and expertly portrayed.

To sum up: it may be returning soon, the first 3 series are amazing in all ways and you will be hooked once you get into it. The only down side is your conversations with friends will involve more quotes/references than they should, as will your Felix articles. Try and avoid this, it’s a HUUUUUGE mistake.