In this ‘age of austerity’ skiing and snowboarding can still remain affordable for students. Tough times call for tough measures. So now, Snowsports clubs from across the land of London have come together to bring snowy fun to the masses (i.e. you) at good ol’, pre-tuition-fee-scandal, student prices! While you were busy working on those tans that the days of revision and exams denied you, your lovely Snowsports committee were looking out for your winter needs.

As the summer ends we are pleased to announce the formation of another hybrid word and a new era of: the London Snowoperative! What does it mean? This winter’s trip will be the biggest yet with Greenwich, University of Arts London, Southbank University and Ravensbourne College joining Imperial in a fleet of coaches all going to Les Arcs, France. Combining the trip in this way has lead to a reduced cost that doesn’t compromise on resort location or quality of service.

What’s more, now that October has come and the weather is shite again, you can look forward to meeting other London students on Snowsports socials: on our trips to snow domes and as we travel to competitions including the weekend trip to Edinburgh in November (A.K.A. BUDS). To welcome this new Snowoperative into action Imperial will be hosting a We Are Metric night (October 20th). “On this night we invite anyone that has ever wanted to ski or snowboard to join us in celebrating this new venture!” Gerry Hawkins, Social Secretary, shared. “Everyone else come for the fun times and free beverage,” added the trip’s organiser Vlad Demerdzhiev, “enjoy this one responsibly – the rest is up to you.”

Wikipedia teaches us that a cooperative is “an autonomous association of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social, and cultural needs and aspirations through jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.” The Snowoperative will also strive to meet your snow-related needs and aspirations. Be they learning to ski or board, or landing rodeo fives - or if you just want to make an igloo and join in the après-ski. For example, the fresher taster session (October 19th) will also be joint with the Snowoperative with two coaches of students heading to Milton Keynes’ snow dome for recreational ski with features or a lesson available at a huge discount.

The Snowoperative is thus far composed of the core five universities – however others have already expressed interest and growth is expected next year. “This is a sport which is not all about the rivalry but the revelry,” explained Luke Bridgestock – Freestyle Captain and PhD student, “This is the start of something special that will continue on.”

Prices for the annual winter trip to the alpine mountains had been increasing year on year. As always the aim has been to make the trip as affordable as possible so that it is not only attended by the super keen (gnarly, power-hungry specimens that you are) but also by those that want to keep the recreational student life going over winter. It is a time to bond over vin chaud and have silly fun with other students in the snow. After all, it’s not long until our holidays will be limited by our careers and student prices are snatched away from us! London snowsports clubs needed to unite and do some serious negotiating! Matt Edwards, treasurer, assures us that the Snowoperative efforts have been successful: “This year, the trip costs less than last year and the year before that.”

The most significant change the Snowoperative trip will bring Imperial students is the variety of social opportunities. Of course, being the independent adults that you are – it’s up to you what you choose to get involved in. If you want to keep it a personal trip with friends, that is still possible. Accommodation will remain as self catered, apartment rooms to give you a base. Les Arcs offers a huge skiing area to explore and you can enjoy the freedom however you like. On the flipside, if your aim is to get to know new people then there will be a range of events to attend in the coming months: union nights like We Are Metric, weekend trips away (BUDS), premieres of ski and snowboarding films, the chance to try out racing for free and more. This year will be unlike any year Imperial has ever seen – the world of Snowsports is opening up to everyone.