The American producer/director Brett Ratner, known for such films as Rush Hour, Red Dragon and newly-released Tower Heist, has stepped down from his prominent position as producer of the 2012 Oscars.

His resignation follows a string of inappropriate comments in a number of recent media appearances, most notably for using an offensive term in an interview while promoting his new film Tower Heist, and a very strange telephone interview on Howard Stern’s radio show, during which he gave explicit details of his sex life.

In a letter of resignation, 42-year-old Ratner said that he had “gotten a well-deserved earful from many of the people I admire most in this industry expressing their outrage and disappointment over the hurtful and stupid things I said in a number of recent media appearances. To them, and to everyone I’ve hurt and offended, I’d like to apologise publicly and unreservedly.”

Ratner’s first blunder was made during a promotional interview for his Tower Heist two weeks ago. A member of the studio audience asked whether he had found it hard handling rehearsals for a group of such actors as Eddie Murphy, Ben Stiller, Casey Affleck and Gabourey Sidibe, to which Ratner’s response was: “Rehearsal? What’s that? Rehearsal’s for fags.” This comment caused outrage, despite the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences (who run the Oscars) making an official apology condemning Ratner.

The filmmaker then made the decision to give a telephone interview on the Stern radio show, which was supposed to be to apologise for previously implying a sexual relationship between himself and Iron Man 2 actress Olivia Munn. Instead of the expected apology, however, Ratner chose instead to regale the listeners with tales of his past sexual conquests, his oral sex skills, the size of his balls, his masturbation techniques, his disdain for condoms…and much more. Needless to say, this did not go down too well on national radio, despite the fact that Ratner was being encouraged to spill the beans by the show’s host. Following the resignation last week, the president of the Academy, Tom Sherak, was quoted as saying that Ratner had “done the right thing for the Academy, and for himself.” He added: “Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable.”

Ratner has now been replaced by Brian Grazer, the Oscar-winning producer of A Beautiful Mind. “Brian Grazer is a renowned filmmaker who over the past 25 years has produced a diverse and extraordinary body of work,” said Sherak. “He will certainly bring his tremendous talent, creativity and relationships to the Oscars.”

In light of Ratner’s resignation, his friend Eddie Murphy has also quit his role as the presenter of the 2012 Oscars show. The comedian/actor was hired by Ratner to rejuvenate the show after its lacklustre ceremony last year; Murphy’s appointment was an attempt to return to the programme’s original winning formula of having a comedian presenting. After his resignation, Murphy said: “I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I’m sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job.”

Despite an online campaign for the Muppets to take over from Murphy gaining popularity last week, the Academy has announced that Billy Crystal will be filling the role. The 63-year-old actor has previously hosted the Oscars nine times, most recently in 2004. “Some of the best moments of my career have happened on the Oscar stage,” he said.

The 84th Academy Awards ceremony is due to take place at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles on Sunday 26 February 2012.