Watching this week’s BBC Weather, the viewer is immediately gifted with the presence of the pride of the meteorological arena: Alex Deakin. A physics graduate (thanked, apparently, in S. F. Helsdon and T. J. Ponman’s paper “The intragroup medium in loose groups of galaxies”) turned Met Office employee turned BBC hyperstar-idol-to-the-masses-weatherman. We’re even treated to the mandatory abomination of a floral tie.

This particular episode was Tuesday evening’s national edition (the 10:32 PM broadcast if we’re getting the facts in). It, as one would hope, detailed the expected weather for the succeeding day: a cloudy night followed by a dreary grey start with the possibility of it brightening up in the South East. Other parts or the United Kingdom – Wales and Cornwall – would be subject to rain whilst there existed a high chance that the North of the country would be enveloped by gloominess.

Accuracy, succinctness and presentation are what the discerning viewer looks for in a weather forecast. Which would have been the exact experience befallen upon you had you viewed this specific episode. Alex Deakin delivered on all grounds – hand gestures correlated to adjectives with great fluidity whilst diction was well chosen and laconic. The greatest question, however, is should one watch the BBC weather broadcast? It depends. Can you be bothered to look out of the window?