Rugby

Men’s 1st XV – 28

Chichester 1st – 24

Travelling the long distance to Chichester and producing a convincing performance against a physical minded team is not an easy feat and as a result this fixtures has, in recent years, been a tight affair. Unsurprisingly, the most recent clash was no different, yet the grit and determination shown by Imperial was typical of the never say die attitude which this side has shown over the past few years.

Imperial arrived well ahead of kick off and were able to enjoy a relaxed and lengthy warm up, despite their ideal preparation, it was Chichester who struck first. After Imperial put good pressure on the Chichester scrum within the Imperial 22 meter line, the ball was recycled and Chichester’s full back cut between George Lane and Michael Floyd in the centre to go through and score, with the conversion added. Going behind so early did not spring Imperial to life but they good pressure deep within Chichester’s half allowed fly half James Cox to take a penalty opportunity and cut the deficit to four points. Although Chichester may not have had the technical acumen which Imperial possessed, they were using their physical game to good effect around the fringes of rucks. Their physical endeavour was rewarded with a second try which was again converted. Imperial struggled to find an opening and exasperated coach Brimah Kebbie implored them to use the open side to greater effect. After good pressure within the Chichester half, Imperial were able to use their driven lineout, caught by Chris McGeough, to good effect and come away with five points courtesy of Sean Baker. Imperial lost full back James Hayward before halftime to a neck injury but were able to hold out until the break trailing by just six.

[Chichester] were using their physical game to good effort

Again it was Chichester who had the upper hand at the outset of the second half; despite this good work by the front row of James Scaife, Roby Kyle and Simon Fenton had the upper hand in the scrums whilst openside Jack Flanagan was constantly committing multiple defenders to bring him down. Imperial scored their second try of the match through replacement Josh Lowe but Chichester were not deterred and a long range effort in order to lead 21-13 going into the last twenty minutes. Imperial knew they had a game on their hands and needed to dig deep to rescue their game. Wingers Joe Weddon, who was named man of the match, and Syarif Hertog were stretching Chichester out wide and ultimately it was superior fitness which proved to be the decisive in determining the match.

Imperial spread the Chichester defence on the open side before switching back to the blind side and slick hands allowed replacement Olisa Ufodiama, on for Michael O’Connell, to score in the corner.

Imperial gave away a needless penalty within their own 22 which Chichester’s full back duly sent over to cushion their lead. Sensing the game was still alive, Imperial surged up the pitch after the restart and James Cox went over in the opposite corner to cut Chichester’s lead to one point with less than five minutes to go. Upon winning a penalty within their own half, Imperial kicked for territory.

David Wilson shrugged off the average chat directed at him by Chichester supporters at the lineout which was won by Charlie Esberger, Imperial then put on an impressive drive from outside the Chichester 22 with Ufodiama at the back going over for his second try to give Imperial the lead for the first time in the match, with one minute to go. Imperial wound down the clock and came away with an impressive victory, which will hopefully spur them on for the rest of the season.