He has hosted the longest running cookery series in the world and has worked as a chef in hotels and restaurants across London after training at Westminster Catering College.

He has worked in the kitchens of Verreys, The Strand Palace, The Dorchester and Browns amongst others, and set up his own catering company.

He is also a No.1 best selling author, he has sold more than two million books worldwide and he is the patron of the independent British-registered charity The Kasiisi Porridge Project which gives rural schoolchildren living near the Kibale National Park in western Uganda a meal every day. He is Ainsley Harriot.

What has been more exciting and fulfilling for you, being a TV star, an author, or a chef?

I love the idea of diversifying – it’s lovely to be able to do other things if opportunities arise along the way. I’ve been very lucky and have to say I love all three. We do get influenced by our parents whether we like it or not and my dad was an international entertainer and my mum was a great cook, so the two careers walk hand in hand to me.

You have written an enormous amount of unique and delicious recipes. From where do you usually get the inspiration?

Inspiration comes from my late mum, Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) and the relationships I have built up with people along the way. Hearing other people’s ideas and experiences is really stimulating and can only influence my cooking further.

Ainsley Harriot presenting Ready Steady Cook

Ainsley Harriot presenting Ready Steady Cook Credit: BBC

Ainsley Harriott products are famous for their taste and quality. What is your personal involvement in their production?

I work with the development team at Symington’s. We take inspiration from all over the world and then test and retest until we’re happy with the result. It’s a long process but we’d rather take our time and get it right. Every product is tested by me, often several times, but I also hand them out to a couple of close friends to see what they think of them before I finally sign them off.

If you had to choose one of your products as being your favourite, which one would it be?

I love the cous cous - and I’m really excited about the new sauce mixes that you’ll see next year. It’s a tough question though. I tend to like whatever I’m working on at the time.

What do you think is the most common pitfall in cooking?

People not being prepared before they start.

Imperial College students have a very tight schedule, so many sometime choose fast food. Do you have any suggestions to encourage them to lead a healthier life?

Well obviously my products are pretty fast and they aren’t high in fat – so go and buy a risotto! There are loads of speedy recipes out there. There really isn’t an excuse to be unhealthy just because you don’t have much time.

What should we expect from Ainsley Harriott in 2012?

A new chicken recipe book early in the New Year, loads of new product launches and a little investigation into the wonders of the British pea.

For more details about Ainsley, recipes, new products and videos, visit his official website www.ainsley-harriott.com