Imperial College’s very own Musical Theatre Society consistently puts on hilarity filled shows that mix wild humour, a flair for the outrageous and an almost tangible passion for performance. The first term revue of late has progressively developed into something more elaborate. While still based around a collection of well-known show tunes, the plot element and staging of these performances has become ever more ambitious. The sheer scale of this term’s production meant that, attending my preview, I was terrified that perhaps in an attempt to outdo last year’s exquisite Imperial Collage, the well-meaning folk of one of Imperial’s most vibrant and active societies had completely over-reached themselves.

The script, written by Shamini Bundell for this performance, sounded completely mental and the cast was huge. Settling down with apprehension, what I saw unfurl before me was beyond what I could have possibly imagined. The animated anarchic explosion of drama and pure, unbridled, and not-a-little-bit camp fun that followed had me either in stiches or semi-rapturous joy.

The general concept of the story line is a pastiche of several of Grimms’ Fairy Tales, similar, in a way, to Shrek. However, like that perennially re-commissioned children’s classic, the use of well-known characters is not overbearing on the plot itself; rather it allows for a familiar background on which the action, concerning a few intertwined love stories and a traveling band of lesbian cat bandits, can take place.

I can’t begin to think of where to start chucking the praise in terms of who deserves it most. Ms Bundell has crafted a fantastic script that manages to keep you laughing without wallowing in trying to be funny for the sake of it. Any weaker gags are carried by the strength of the cast, who with such a short amount of time for rehearsing have between them managed to build up a spectacular ensemble performance. What is most obviously recognisable to an audience member is that everyone on stage is having an absolute blast. The energy they positively throw into the crowd whips you along in the show’s tidal wave. Special mention of course always has to go to Phil Raymond for his stellar performance as the Prince, but also to Rebecca Miller as the villainous Mayor. Christopher Witham’s debut performance for MTSoc as Buttons was particularly impressive.

I really can’t stress enough how much of a great time I had at this show. Fortune favours the brave and this production has levels of bravery akin to someone trying to revise for an end of year exam the night before. However, unlike my second year Maths module, the results here are spectacularly good, and hell, it’s free, so you have no excuse.

Charming: An Alternative Ever After is on at The Union Concert Hall. Runs Monday 5th - Wednesday 7th December, 7.30pm. Tickets are free!