November 26 saw the first of what is hoped to be an annual convening of the science societies of universities in the UK in a dinner, attended by some of the most prestigious names in the discipline.

Guests of honour included HRH The Duke of Kent; Nobel laureate Sir Paul Nurse, who received his prize for his research into cell duplication; Sir Roland Jackson from the British Science Association; and Professor Kevin Warwick, described as the “world’s first cyborg” for implanting a RFID chip in his body.

Dinner was followed by an amusing and inspiring speech by Sir Nurse, who described his path into science (beginning with the sight of Sputnik 2 over the skies of Neasden), his work that lead on to his Nobel Prize, and where he sees science in the future.

Of special note is the Francis Crick Institute, opening in 2015. Nurse described the Institute as being “anarchic,” with 1,500 staff being organized in no departmental structure. It is hoped this way of structuring the Institute will lead to increased freedom, with no senior managers causing roadblocks to new research proposals. When asked if there are any examples of this arrangement in practice, Nurse did, however, reply “in my head”.

Nurse also urged the attendees to use their scientific skills for the good of the nation. While he stressed that only those with a deep passion for science should go on to do research, it was important, he said, that we ensure that public are of a sound scientific knowledge, especially as the future becomes even more scientifically advanced. He used an example of the lack of scientists in Parliament as an example of where we fail at the moment, especially considering the ill-informed debate in the past, such as over GM crops.