Actor of the Year: Michael Shannon (Take Shelter)

What makes _Take Shelter _such a harrowing experience is not down to its marvellously restrained special effects. Instead, Shannon’s intense performance as the unstable, paranoid family man is what grips us from start to finish. These alarming apocalyptic visions that haunt his everyday life; is he a prophet? Or is he showing signs of schizophrenia? Known for reliably playing loony characters, the consistently superb Shannon is just as good, if not better, in a lead role of his own, as he creates one memorable American hero.

Actress of the Year: Michelle Williams (My Week with Marilyn)

Williams absolutely nails Marilyn Monroe’s looks, voice, and speech. But her performance stands out as one of the best this year because of her more silent, behind-the-scenes portrayal of the tragic, insecure movie star. The pain and suffering she constantly endures from both her personal and professional lives are well shown in the actress’ masterful transformation, and for anyone who intends to play Marilyn Monroe in future productions that are bound to materialise at some point, Williams just set the bar a whole lot higher.

Director of the Year: Lars von Trier (Melancholia)

End of the world can be beautiful in von Trier’s eyes, and he creates something truly illuminating and captivating as he focuses on sisters having to face difficult issues of their own, whilst a large planet seems to be heading to Earth on a collision course. Von Trier is hardly known for his socially acceptable behaviour, but when it comes to directing something that carries a dramatic punch, he’s the master of utilising his talented cast, steady camera-work, restrained script, and in this case, some beautiful effects.

Supporting Actor of the Year: Nick Nolte (Warrior)

I’m a sucker for emotional dramas involving dysfunctional families with a hint of redemption involved, so _Warrior _was right up my alley, and the insanely kinetic, inventive mixed martial arts fight scenes were an extra bonus. But the family dynamic, involving two wronged sons (Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy) and an ex-alcoholic, apologetic wreck of a father (Nolte), is the solid base this sports drama builds itself on, with Nolte giving one heart-wrenching, vulnerable performance as the born-again, sorry father who seeks forgiveness.

Supporting Actress of the Year: Octavia Spencer (The Help)

“Eat ma shit,” will be the three words most people take away from_ The Help_, uttered so hilariously by the irreplaceable Spencer. That’s not all; her character Minny loves her chickens too (bear with me here). When her kind-hearted white boss suggests burning some of her fried chicken to give to her husband, Spencer pauses in absolute shock and disgust as she says, “Minny don’t burn chicken.” Spencer is an absolute class act, and is every bit deserving of all the supporting awards there are.

Ensemble of the Year: Bridesmaids

There isn’t a single character or comedic performance to fault here; whether it’s the horny mum of three semen-covered teenage boys Rita (Wendi McLendon-Covey), the sweet, “I’ve only slept with one man” Becca (Ellie Kemper), the plus-sized, strong and confident Megan (Melissa McCarthy), the rich, bitchy Helen (Rose Byrne), the fun bride (Maya Rudolph), and ultimately the insecure, rambly maid of honour (Kristen Wiig). The girls of Sex and the City should eat their hearts out, because female-driven wedding comedies should be exactly like this; with humour, rich characters, and a hint of vomit and lava-like diarrhoea (you know what scene I’m talking about).

Rising Star Award: Michael Fassbender

Following critical hits Hunger and Fish Tank, Fassbender is quickly rising in the film industry as one of the most bankable, dedicated performers around. He was oddly chilling, yet appealing, as Rochester in Jane Eyre, he added layers of intensity and anger to Magneto in X-Men: First Class, his restrained performance in _A Dangerous Method _was a fascinating one, and his top-notch performance as a sex addict in _Shame _is already generating much awards buzz after his Best Actor win at the Venice Film Festival. All of this in a single year. A rising star indeed.

Rising Star Award: Jessica Chastain

It’s hard to know where to begin with Chastain. Virtually unknown in 2010, a year later, she’s possibly one of the most talked-about actresses around, thanks to a number of films (The Help, The Debt, The Tree of Life, Take Shelter) being released within months of one another. She gives varied performances in very different films, the kind of versatility a lot of actresses struggle to achieve in a lifetime. Her presence is felt in all the films she has starred in, and the genuinely talented actress will hopefully have a glowing career, with her résumé padded like never before.

Special Award: Andy Serkis

Serkis may never win an Oscar for his role in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but his motion-capture performance is such a mesmerising piece of cinema acting that we just could not stand not acknowledging him for an award. If you watch some of the “making-of” footage for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, you will see that not only are his postures perfectly captured, but also his subtle facial expression. He virtually has no words to say, but he still manages to deliver something so powerful in his incredibly detailed and dedicated performance.

Special Award: Woody Allen

It takes a unique kind of genius to write and direct every year – and Allen is that man. He attracts the starriest ensembles, picks the perfect locations, shoots with his traditional modest style, and somehow manages to produce embracing romantic-comedies. He makes hiccups here and there, but who doesn’t? For a man who has given us more than forty films over his distinguished career, Allen shows a high level of consistency in his work, and is most certainly an exceptional gem of a director/writer.

Brit Film of the Year: Deathly Hallows – Part 2

It took ten years, eight films, millions of dollars, and hundreds of cast and crew to get the final film of the _Harry Potter _franchise absolutely right. There is action, magic and most importantly, heart. With actors having matured into their roles over the years, and a faultless supporting cast boasting some famous English names, the finale to the most successful series in the history of cinema is a more than satisfying one, a real British triumph, and something every generation can embrace with pride.

Film of the Year: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

It’s a great-looking, well-acted, smartly-written, completely absorbing spy drama, and its slow, patient pace works as a great advantage. It’s layered with so much depth and detail that it does the great John Le Carré’s novel justice. The highly underrated Gary Oldman falls beautifully into the role of George Smiley, whose mission is to identify a Soviet mole hidden in the high levels of British Secret Service. It’s a complex ride but completely worth paying attention to; a triumph in every sense.