As the elections grow ever closer and each of the Union’s Sabbaticals offers an account of their experiences and some advice for would-be successors, the arrogant urge to do the same has become uncontrollable. It would be farcical to interview oneself so I shall instead substitute what is usually a space to editorialise on ‘the issue of the day’ with some words of advice for the man or woman that will follow me.

Of the many things of which I was not aware when I began the job, there are two things that are certainly the most important.

The first is the ever-present sense of fatigue. An average day usually begins between 8-9am and ends between 7-9pm. The Wednesday/Thursday “sprint finish” is even worse, I begin at 8am on Wednesday, work until 3-5am at which time I take a short nap on the office couch and awake at 6am; I finally rest my head upon a pillow at 10-11pm on Thursday evening. The weekend only offers rest if you’re willing to forgo social interaction; I have not been willing. So it is hardly surprising that the bags under my eyes have grown considerably. If you are considering taking the helm of this illustrious newspaper, do not deceive yourself about the physical toll that it will take. You could work fewer hours, of course, but then the paper would suffer – if that is a compromise that you’re willing to make, then I doubt that the position is right for you.

The second is how much the paper’s success is carried, not by the Editor, but by students who volunteer their time to contribute to it. They are the ones who come up with new ideas, write the articles, edit and lay out the paper and exceed your expectations each and every week. It is the dedicated student volunteers, not the Editor, who are truly the lifeblood of this paper. For that reason the Editor must encourage Imperial students to participate in the production of their newspaper and must help them shape it with their ideas. If Felix isn’t completely open and welcoming to those students who tentatively and modestly request the opportunity to write an article, it will suffer.

To finish, I’ll recount something that I did know when I started and still hold as key to the job six months on: there is no use in trying to hide your mistakes or shortcomings. I have made errors of judgement and there are things, though I am too ashamed to list them here, that I regret. But this already difficult job – see lack of sleep above – would be impossible without the humility to say that the next girl, or guy, could probably do a far better job than me.