The New Musical Express, perhaps better known as the NME, may have lost some of its influence since it was championing the Beatles and Rolling Stones. The invasion of the internet has certainly chipped away at print media’s appeal, and perhaps one could argue that music hacks have been one of the worst hit. However the NME’s portfolio has expanded, and since 1999 they have been giving out some gongs to some bands for being the best, the worst and the most villainous. Awards shows may also be looked upon with a spoonful of cynicism; as purely masseurs for overinflated rockstar egos. Don’t hold that notion against the celebratory gigs that are happening right here in the capital throughout February, in the build up to the big event on the 23rd.

It all kicked off with Metronomy at Heaven, who have tentatively started rearing their heads in the run up to the release of what could potentially be one of the albums of the year. The next day saw performance by punk legends Gang of Four and also bright indie upstarts Los Campesinos.

But to the future! Aside from gigs by White Lies, Miles Kane, The Bee’s, Noah and the Whale, Yuck, Warpaint, and someone who used to be in the Libertines, there are some other gigs to you should know about:

Isobel Cambel’s ongoing project with Mark Lanegan (a man with a voice so gravelly he could grit roads), returns back to the UK once more with their show at Shepherds Bush on the 15th. Expect twee americana that is often compared to Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood. While Isobel and Marks alliance may seem unlikely, or even unholy, their folk musings are well worth a listen.

If Sonic Youth had a bastard child with Dinosaur Junior, then it might well have been Yuck. A band that loves a bit of flange (…in an effect pedal context, you filthy people) and clipping the shit out of their distortion boxes they are causing some teenage riots at Bush Hall on the 18th. They will be joined by Cults, a band where you can search for melody under a cascade of noise

We might have mentioned our favorite musical alumni before, and we wont hesitate to mention him again. Caribou returns to London, no doubt remind us why his album ‘Swim’ was one of the finest releases of 2010. He plays on the 22nd, a fine way to close , that is unless you’d rather go for a bit more post hardcore in which case its is Les Savy Fav you should be seeing at Heaven.