The Thief’s Gamble

by Juliet McKenna

I prefer science fiction to fantasy and so approached this novel with some apprehension and reluctance. It follows Livak, a thief and gambler, who becomes embroiled in an attempt by a group of wizards to discover a lost form of magic, but which eventually leads them to find a deadly new enemy.

Initially I found there was very little that was remarkable about this book but it was not long before I began to realise that I was starting to care for the characters. They are varied, interesting, often morally ambiguous and mostly very likable. From Livak herself, never failing to do the right thing, to Darni, often gruff yet ultimately kind-hearted and a good friend. They draw the reader into the story, which also leaves very little to be desired. It quickly picks up the pace and is full of excitement and intrigue.

One of McKenna’s greatest achievements in this novel is the setting, the world of Einarinn. It is a detailed, complex place, with a fully fleshed out history and many distinct and interesting countries. It is further explored in McKenna’s many other books, to which “The Thief’s Gamble” is a perfect introduction.

Cowboy Angels

by Paul McAuley

This is the first book in a long time that I simply couldn’t put down. It is set in an alternate reality where, in the 60s, the USA discovered the means to travel to other parallel universes.

For many years that America’s version of the CIA had been sending agents to ‘improve’ the governments of other Americas, a policy which is stopped by the election of a new president. One retired agent, however, is forced out of retirement to help capture one of his former colleagues, who has gone on an unexplained killing spree across a number of universes.

The story here is simply brilliant. The mystery is truly intriguing and you are never quite sure of the characters’ motivations until the very end. Many of the plot twists caught me completely off-guard and by surprise; none felt at all contrived.

The plot might become slightly too convoluted for some tastes in the second half but for me it just served to add depth to the story. Those who stick with the book will be rewarded with an ending that, while in keeping with the somewhat ambiguous tone of the preceding chapters, still manages to be deeply satisfying.

Living with Ghosts

by Kari Sperring

Kari Sperring’s debut novel concerns the planned destruction of the city of Merafi by its enemies through the use of magic, an art that has long been forgotten there.

A fascinating examination of a society almost being brought to its knees by the unknown it features a disparate cast of characters whose different plot threads are masterfully brought together by the author. Sperring’s experience as a mediaeval historian shines through as she has managed to create a world which feels very real, which is a major failing of many other fantasy writers.

The novel is somewhat slow paced but that just allows for a closer look at the issues involved, and for the characters to be given opportunity to develop, giving the relatively simple storyline great depth. The plot feels both epic and personally linked with each of these characters and this leads to a deeply poignant ending with a spectacular and climactic feel. It certainly deserves to have won the British Fantasy Society’s Sydney J Bounds Award for Best Newcomer.

Picocon will be held at the Union on Saturday 19th from 10am, £8