Casablanca, a black and white timeless masterpiece, was released in 1943. The script for the unstaged play on which the film is based fatefully found its way to the desk of a Warner Brothers employee the day after Pearl Harbour, and was rapidly adapted into an iconic wartime romance set in the North African city of Casablanca.

Casablanca during the Second World War was a real melting pot for Europe. It was a holding point for refugees from the Nazi regime and this is the premise for the film. A phenomenal mix of different characters supports the signature performance of Humphrey Bogart as Rick, an American who runs a “gin joint” where most of the action takes place. Rick’s resolution to never get involved with his customers is broken when Ilsa Lund, played by the stunning Ingrid Bergman, walks back into his life.

Bogart never actually says “play it again, Sam”

Despite its rapid conversion into a screenplay, the script is outstanding. The small, understated quips and witty dialogue are what really make this film memorable. This is the source of one of the great misquotes of cinema: Bogart never actually says “play it again, Sam”. The Sam in question is Bogart’s pianist and friend, who came with him from Paris and is the first to recognise Ilsa when she enters Rick’s with a famous resistance leader played by Paul Henreid. Sam and his band provide a very well crafted musical backdrop to the night club scenes as well as the unforgettable ‘As Time Goes By’. This song, coupled with the more overtly dramatic score and the passionate rendition of the Marseilles, make this film as acoustically impressive as it is visually.

Most of the film takes place in Rick’s, which creates a very intense atmosphere at times – many of the scenes are almost like watching a play rather than a film. Made in a short time on a shoestring budget, this film is a welcome break from computerised overblown special effects and shaky camerawork and is a great example of how a great atmosphere can be created just from a few locations.

This is a film which really deserves its reputation as one of the best films ever made, and don’t let that reputation put you off: it’s charming, thrilling and very fun to watch.