Imperial Gaelic footballers travelled down to Birmingham to meet their counter parts from across the Isles to compete in the biggest event on the calendar – the British Universities Championships.

The infamous weekend of football began with high spirits and an appropriate meal on the Friday, the general mood calm and collected, this with the knowledge of a strong and deep squad furthered any previous prospect of victory. A DVD of one of the greatest displays in footballing history, the 2005 All-Ireland final, was the catalyst of choice for the evening. Tournament coordinator, Shane O’Hanlon, phoned and informed captain Fitzpatrick of some registry issues, IC had to forfeit three pivotal players, Sean Dunne, Will Seez and club stoat, Frank O’Neill. Though a scar on the face would not damage any desires for IC, the reliable squad members Paddy Heugh, Luke Johnston and Toby Davies stepped in and ensured a strong starting team for the morning.

A 5am start is never a pretty experience, throw in some Baltic conditions, a driver who hasn’t heard of a clutch or gears lower than 3rd and an angry Yettie McCann - it’s not anymore prepossessing. Having said that, the sky became a lighter shade of grey and tunes were banging as the men powered up the M1, the humour loudened. Like wizards they arrived precisely when they meant to, ready for the tournament of the year.

In the draw the night before Imperial were pulled out of the hat alongside Lincoln, Sterling, Rennes and Teesside. Having no idea of what the competition was like, even having played Sterling the previous year, nobody can guess what the turnover of players is like; it was imperative to watch all the games and devise some tactics from the sideline. So it began, game one.

Lincoln 0:00 – 0:03 Imperial

The awkward debacle of the two teams sporting royal blue was resolved by a coin toss forcing IC to play in an unspoilt, all-white away kit. McCann and Roche harmonized to win the initial tussle at the throw in, a ball was delivered directly into the arms of Niall O’Hara, McCann followed on and his work was rewarded with a fine score from 20 yards. This early dominance and networking between the midfield and forwards tamed the opposition for a while. Fitzpatrick floated one over from a set piece, thereafter was replaced by Luke Johnston due to a niggling hamstring. The rest of the first half was more of a tennis rally with no team able to penetrate the others defense.

With IC only two points up going into the second half, it was imperative to get more scores on the board as a goal for Lincoln would have put them in the lead. The solid wall of Clancy and O’Driscall in the full back line cancelled any scoring opportunities that arose for Lincoln. Imperial’s all important score came when an accurate kick out from Harry Evans was won by the determination of Doolan; rising above his man, beating him and laying it off to playmaker Niall O’Hara whom after selling a handsome dummy pointed from distance.

Changing back to Blue, Imperials next opponents came in the form of Scotsmen

Sterling 0:00 – 2:03 Imperial

Unable to win the opening battle, Sterling got in on the breaking ball from the throw in – a shock to system for the Blues however the defense bounced back and disposed the Greens. The IC defense governed the play in the first half, Mick McGarvey, O’Hare and James S. snatching any loose balls coming their way, coinciding with the strong hands and determinant runs from player of the tournament, Paddy Comerford, the IC forwards could do some damage. Introducing danger man Heugh into the full forward line ensured two robust goals from his left boot, conserving his reputation.

The adversaries were ruthless, though dirty in their tackling so gave away many fouls and those closer to the goal mouth Ed Fitzpatrick confidently, could ease the frees between the posts and over the black spot.Doolan eventually added the terminating point to the scoreboard with Evans keeping yet another clean sheet.

The following game would best go unmentioned even in The Times. Opponents were in the form of the well-travelled French team minus one or five, roll up the Rennes Ten.