Continuing on from Friday’s report, IC Gaelic’s next opponents at the BUCS Championship were Teeside.

The consistent Mick McGarvey was put on their playmaker, as noted from spectating; this was a success, as McGarvey did not give his man an inch on the pitch. Though it was the greater depth of the Teeside team that prevailed, opening the scoring from long distance after a break around the midfield line.

Fitzpatrick, resting a hamstring problem, soon came on for Toby Davies who, acrobatically attempted to recreate the ankle break of fellow club mate and lover Stephen Gallagher. There was nothing between the two teams, with both defenses cancelling each others offensive movements. On the brink of half time O’Hare plucked one from the sky beating three men with tremendous strength and shot successfully from 40 yards, leaving the teams level with one point a piece.

On the brink of half time O’Hare plucked one from the sky beating three men with tremendous strength and shot successfully from 40 yards

It seemed to be going Imperial’s way in the second half, winning the throw-in and moving up the field with tremendous purpose, Donal Connelly was set up for a goal chance only for the last defender to beat him to the ball with a kick of desperation. From this, a counter attack transpired, IC were caught on the break and Teeside got what seemed to be an easy score.

Trailing by a point Imperial seemed to be playing hazardous football until O’Hara was callously caught in the nuts deep in oppositions half, this gave the Blues time to reinvent themselves and for O’Hara to develop a vengeance (he later punched the same helpless in the face). A hopeful set piece from Fitz around the 50 yard mark didn’t have the legs but ran into the arms of the centre back who was then disposed by McCann who certified a point on the board for IC putting them back inline with Teeside.

They responded well though forcing the Imperial defence to foul with an easy conversion, the Newcastle side was in the lead again and continued to command for the rest of the game. The last ditch stand for Albertropolitans came when a poorly kicked 50 was hit directly into the arms of Fitz, who knocked it straight into the path of (Dunners) Paddy Heugh who won the ball successfully but could not negotiate the concrete screen of the Teeside defence. The ball was cleared and final whistle sounded. Imperial were prematurely knocked out of the Championships. Teeside progressed to the final, nonetheless were defeated by Glasgow by a single point in that very match.

What followed was perpetuate yet highly elite behaviour in Birmingham’s Palace, Etap. There was much to learn for the boys that night: Etap beds are a feat of Engineering mastery, O’Hare needs new shoes, Whitey is a dark horse and unless Fin’s head displays a balanced equation he cannot “regain himself physically”. With the birdsong at dawn SDLP made their way back home down the M1 whilst SF continued to sing like birds in fine tune right through the afternoon.

The result wasn’t what the Blues quested for but they were on the one road and they were singing the one song.