The 1st XI, still unbeaten in all ULU competitions, went into their ULU Cup semi-final with confidence, having already beaten their opposition – King’s Medics in the League fixture. After a dramatic last minute change of venue to Harlington, the 1s quickly seized the initiative, with neat control and a fantastic finish from Robinson putting them ahead within two minutes.

Appearing to rest on their laurels, Imperial allowed GKT plenty of freedom to play for the remainder of the half, but a solid defensive line ensured that the opposition created few clear chances from open play. Ten minutes before the break though, what appeared to be an outrageously soft penalty was gifted to GKT, who converted the spot kick to equalise. Frustrated, Imperial hobbled through to half time to gather their thoughts. Much of the discussion centred upon maintaining defensive discipline, whilst engaging centre-midfield players Benincasa and Hill in play.

The first 25 minutes of the second half were fraught, with Imperial guilty of more than a little panic, and not enough patience. GKT again failed to create many chances, and the 1s gradually regained their footing and took control of the game, beginning to string together some good passes and making the opposition do the running. The breakthrough finally came 15 minutes from time, when an extremely poor backpass from a King’s defender fell to Imperial striker Eshun’s feet, leaving him to calmly slot the ball past the keeper. Having regained the lead, Imperial were determined not to lose it again, and their superior shape and discipline began to shine through. GKT continued to be thwarted by the Imperial back four, with their efforts being reduced to a single goal mouth scramble. Ten minutes from time, an impact substitution was made, with Benincasa replaced by Hinken in the middle of the park. Hinken promptly slotted a pass through to Vallin, who drove into the area to finish well and effectively seal the game for Imperial. GKT’s defence had appeared to have collapsed, and with two minutes to go Eshun was played through on goal, and despite having to travel the entire length of the opposition half with the ball, rounded the keeper to put the result beyond doubt.

The win sets up a mouth-watering cup final with UCL 1st XI, the only team still able to challenge Imperial for the league, and keeps the squad on track for Double glory.