The lowdown: Once reserved for the likes of more experienced backpackers, South America is now a haven for anyone wanting to escape the normality of home. Budget accommodation and tour operators are frequent and more than willing to provide you with services, and the area is also becoming increasingly safe for tourists as local troublemakers begin to see the long-term benefits that tourism can provide the economy.

Culture: The people of South America are known for their party vibe and high spirits, so expect some late nights! Spanish is the official language of most countries, but Portuguese is also widely spoken (and the official language of Brazil).

Costs: Costs can be as little as £20 per day, including all food and activities, if you are willing to haggle for good prices and eat as the locals do (see our basic backpacking guide from the Felix Daily Issue 1).

Cuisine: Traditional fried meats with accompanying vegetables are common across the continent, with each country contributing its own subtle differences. As always, local brews are in abundance and should be sampled like any edible delicacy.

Argentina’s lovable capital

Buenos Aires is one of the largest cities in South America, literally translating as “fair winds”. It offers much in the way of culture, and serves as a useful hub to the rest of the country and continent.

Accommodation: Hostel Suites Palermo in the Palermo district is affiliated with Hostelling International. Their branches offer well located and safe rooms, and also offer memberships, giving you discounts in hostels all over the world as well as discounts on local tours. The staff speak fluent English, and facilities include 24 hour internet access and a fantastic included breakfast.

Food: Asado (barbecued steak) is an absolute must-try, served at popular parrillas (meat restaurants) – these can range from budget to very pricey as easily seen by the decor of the restaurant. Vegetarians need not despair as many outlets cater for tourists, although don’t expect much in the way of variety.

Activities: Witness the impressive sculpture Floralis Generica, the neoclassical government building Casa Rosada, and clock tower Torre Monumental. Embrace the vibrant La Boca neighbourhood, cruise on a boat along Tigre’s river, attend an authentic tango show, party the night away on a rooftop. Sample the two delicacies of Argentina: the excellent wine and hectic football matches.

Orphanage volunteering

Cordoba is Argentina’s second largest city, about 9 hours Northwest of Buenos Aires. The city is known for its universities, colonial buildings and beautiful surrounding valleys.

Accommodation: The orphanages will allow you to stay on site with the children: facilities are basic but travellers going for this kind of experience should know what to expect. Meals and all other facilities will be included. It is worth noting that although hot by day, temperatures can drop to single digits during the night, especially with the lack of resident window panes in the orphanage – pack something warm.

Food: In addition to less hostile options, bold adventurers can sample Locro Argentino, a national dish that is essentially a whole pig, cooked and served. That’s right, eyes, bones and all. It’d be rude to refuse, so just brave it and try to keep it down! Fernet, a bitter spice based spirit, is also on offer.

Activities: Experience the real life and culture of Argentina; understand the grave importance of Catholicism in everyday life and what exactly it means to be Argentinean; rapidly be accepted into the everyday life of local people; teach the children; let down your hair and get involved in the unmatched game of football.

Uncover beautiful Bolivia

Bolivia continually amazes and surprises those who visit, often being ranked amongst the most stunning countries in South America, despite its reputation. Scams are common but also easily avoided if you have sufficient information from travel guides and word of mouth.

Accommodation: Bolivia is very backpacker-savvy, so expect to find hostels with English speaking staff and great facilities throughout the country. Hostelling International (refer to the Buenos Aires accommodation section) are prominent here as with several countries throughout South America.

Food: Bolivian cuisine is often referred to as ‘the original meat and potatoes’, first cultivated by the Incas before spreading throughout the world. Nowadays beef is the most common, but chicken, pork and llama shouldn’t be dismissed! Llajua, Bolivia’s answer to salsa, will often be found accompanying such dishes. Vitima is an egg, beer and sugar concoction that also includes coca leaves. And no, it won’t get you high, sadly.

Activities: Venture across the Salvador Dali desert, stand in awe at the Verde and Hedionda lagoons, and check out flamingos at National Park (but be sure to visit in the winter months before they migrate). Unwind in a thermal bath in the Polques Hot Springs in Sol de Mañana.

Riveting Rio de Janeiro

Rio is best known as being the home of Christ the Redeemer, and also for its laidback beach culture, breathtaking landscapes, and annual carnival.

Accommodation: Again, Hostelling International has a reputable branch in the Gloria district, close to Flamengo beach. The hostel is certainly modest, but is in a location where you can take advantage of cheaper rates on tours and food.

Food: Track down a ‘comida a kilo’, a Brazilian buffet-style restaurant where you pay according to the weight of your plate. At such venues, expect to find everything from Brazilian delicacies such as feijoada (black bean stew with meat of choice) to sushi and other Asian delights – cosmopolitan Rio caters for every taste. Refreshing Caipirinha is a must-taste, made from Brazilian sugarcane liquor, lime and sugar.

Activities: Revel at wonder of the world, Christ the Redeemer; head on up Sugar Loaf Mountain for some spectacular views, then kick back and relax on Flamengo beach or the famous Copacabana and sip a refreshing drink from a coconut. Pray that your stay coincides with an event at the Maracanã Stadium, and catch the sunrise over a beautiful church after a night at the town.

Annoyances: Beach traders will try and sell you everything: just be polite and say no!