Imperial College has been ranked 62nd in the 2010 Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey (down one place from 2009 and one place below UCL). Over 13,000 undergraduates throughout the country rated aspects of university life out of 7, including academic and sports facilities, quality of staff, course structure, welfare and accommodation. Perhaps not unsurprisingly, factors that Imperial’s 154 respondents rated lowest were “Fair workload” and “Cheap shop/bar/amenities”. Imperial’s facilities (including library and sports), staff and connections to industry, on the other hand, were held in relatively high regard.

The recent increase of the cap on fees has reignited interest in the decision-making process of university applicants. Sixth form students consulted by OpinionPanel (the market research company conducting the survey) deemed “a good course and excellent teaching” amongst the most important factors, but non-academic factors such as the students’ union, extra-curricular activities and location (some students prefer a “campusy” university to a London one) also play a key role. Sixth form students even seem to recognise the advantages of a 24-hour library, for example for “mindset”.

It is also worth noting how the survey was conducted, for example taking into consideration the sample size. A small fraction of the country’s undergraduates seems to be represented (illustrated by the fact that of over 8000 undergraduates at Imperial, only 154 took part). However, according to Times Higher Education, OpinionPanel’s associate director Eleanor Simmons “says the sampling fraction is relatively high in comparison with a typical political opinion poll or large-scale government survey.” The design, namely the aspects of university life that were to be rated, was informed by asking “1,000 students to describe – unprompted and in their own words – how their university contributed to a positive and negative student experience” and there were attempts at removing systematic bias; participants were recruited by email invitation via UCAS and not told the purpose of the survey.

With its renowned sporting facilities in particular, it was Loughborough topping the poll for the fifth year, also excelling in extra-curricular activities, campus environment, facilities, social life, students’ union and library. Throughout London, St George’s University was ranked highest at 27, whilst Oxford was top in the South East at 6.