On a rainy Sunday afternoon, the Imperial College Hockey Club Men’s 2nd XI wearily approached the UCL hockey ground late after a tiring morning of push starting a seriously defective Union minibus.

However, the team got fired up soon enough and went onto the pitch with the desire to win which led to the first 15 minutes being dominated by Imperial. Wrong Hole made some good runs with support from Goldimort and Unnamed, creating good opportunities and resulting in many near misses.

The UCL defence held up though and, as the morning trials became apparent, started to press back. GTG and Yellowbag did some sterling work holding the midfield and really made UCL work to get through. A lucky counter-attack following an Imperial mistake allowed UCL to slip a goal through just before half time.

After some rousing speeches at half time Imperial came out with a fighting spirit ready to gain the lead but the second half just seemed to take the same path as the first.

Imperial dominated the first few minutes of the second half with some great plays, teamwork and skills, really starting to panic the UCL team. Alas, the game swung around and, even with the gallant efforts of Tinkerbell, Unterbrau, Fritzel and Easy Access, a second goal was conceded late in the second half. An uncharacteristic result but the Imperial team played hard and put on a good show.