For a white-collar worker earning a six-figure salary, the priorities are golf, his Porsche, his nice house, providing for his family and of course, keeping his job. But, during the recent economic downturn that resulted in some major corporate downsizing, a hefty number of confident employees faced and still do face, some major unanticipated cutbacks. Speaking directly to the present-day American worker, John Wells’ debut venture as a film director draws on his huge body of experience as executive producer for such television masterpieces as The West Wing and E.R. to produce this astute and absorbing drama.

It was supposed to be a normal day for Bobby (Ben Affleck), a proud worker for GTX Corporation, a massive transportation company. But little does he know that he has been added to a long list of names to be fired. Within seconds he is told to clear out his desk, and joins that long line of workers out of the company door. He also has the unpleasant job of having to break this devastating news to his wife (Rosemarie DeWitt).

Bobby is not the only one in trouble here. Phil (Chris Cooper), an older employee who thought he was safe in the company, is also given the axe. His friend Gene (Tommy Lee Jones), who helped build the company in the first place, assured him that Phil would be fine. But what good is Gene when he himself is booted out?

These characters have all given their time and effort to this company and are now stuck in situations more challenging than ever. Though the cynical viewer may not consider Bobby’s losses as a catastrophic turn (his son cannot afford his Xbox, Bobby has to sell off his house in the suburbs…boo hoo), a close examination of his family dynamic is enough to make us care, and it makes us question just how and why money, wealth and personal status drive us the way they do. Affleck, currently going through a welcome career revival, gives another balanced performance: slightly arrogant and conceited to begin with, as soon as he is struck by this change he is forced to be more humble. This is a contrast that Affleck shows well.

Affleck’s supporting cast also carry off their characters well. Phil – the frustrated, disillusioned older man whose age makes it difficult for him to find another job – is brought to life by Cooper’s fierce and fearless performance that is well-nuanced with a the vulnerability that shows through. Jones’ portrayal of Gene is effective in its gruff struggle with conflict both at home – with his materialistic, demanding wife – and at work, where he finds himself powerless to do anything about the corporate greed-driven cuts.

Together, the trio are captivating and lead The Company Men in what is undoubtedly an important look at what this financial crisis has brought down on us. It’s a narrow view of course, focusing only on three workers, but the film’s narrative does try to be varied in its content, choosing the three most diverse characters possible. The final message is a familiar, overused one, of how we should all be doing what we love and how the most obvious priorities in life aren’t always the right ones. It may sound naïve, but during these times when we have all lost so much, it may be something for us all to remember at the back of our mind.