Losing a child is one of the most emotive subjects a film can take, and can deliver some of the finest performances from its actors, or else fall flat. Rabbit Hole follows the lives of Becca (Nicole Kidman) and Howie (Aaron Eckhart) in the aftermath of their four-year-old son’s accidental death, hit by a car whilst playing with his dog. Eight months on, and both Becca and Howie are struggling to move on. Everything in the house reminds them of him; the pictures on the fridge, the clothes in his room, the home-videos, and even the fingerprints on the door-knobs.

Group grief counseling is the most obvious first step, but something Becca can’t get used to, especially when someone brings up the idea of God. “God needed another angel.” It’s a nice theory one of the mothers comes up with. Becca’s response? “He’s God. Why didn’t he just make another angel?” Good point Becca, it’s time to leave the group. Howie makes an effort and finds a sympathetic ear in a fellow grief therapy member Gaby (Sandra Oh). With the distance growing between Howie and his wife, the film turns towards the question of infidelity whilst Becca continues to struggle with her relationships with her husband, sister, mother and even family dog.

Kidman and Eckhart are outstanding in the lead roles as the quietly grieving parents

Kidman and Eckhart are outstanding in the lead roles as the quietly grieving parents. What the two of them don’t say to each other is just as damaging to the pair’s marriage as what they have to say to one another in a rare argument. And there is a memorable fiery scene in which a lot of the film’s issues and the troubles are summed up – a beautifully written scene, brought to life by two hugely talented actors. Kidman has shown intensity before, so the real surprise here is Eckhart, who brings the performance of his career.

An odd relationship between Becca and the teenage driver who accidentally killed her son also develops: an interesting plot choice for this film. Their exchange is awkward and uncomfortable to watch at first, and you wonder whether a thing like this is ever possible in real-life, but as Becca spends more time with Jason (Miles Teller), it feels poignant and unforced, something achieved in part by the talents of Kidman and the newcomer Teller.

Surprisingly, given the heavy themes it deals with, Rabbit Hole can be amusing at times. This is never inappropriately handled – not a dark or twisted humour – but there are still several lighter moments involving the solid supporting cast. Wiest plays the role of Becca’s mother to perfect, Oscar-worthy precision, providing some off-beat humour as well as carefully interacting with Kidman’s character to stir up effective sympathy. Oh, who is exceptional in all the roles she takes on is once again exemplary as a straight-talking, charismatic character who makes a lasting impression.

There are many familiar elements on display here: the classic grieving music score of simple guitar plucking accompanied by the occasional piano playing dominates the soundtrack and there is the inevitable flashback scene that shows us in slow-motion the accident that started this chain of events. But a lot of this is tastefully handled without trying to squeeze out as many tears as possible. The flashback scene in particular is a focus entirely on Kidman at odd angles and zooms that immediately paints the chaotic atmosphere.

Rabbit Hole involves an incredibly tough subject matter, and something that cannot be handled lightly. But, despite the difficult tone, it manages to still be a pleasant watch and the film’s perceptive look at a range of characters is impressive. Combined with stellar performances to back up such good material, Rabbit Hole fully engrosses its audience and the quality shines through each of its well-sculpted, involving characters.