Devils B were psychologically strong going into last Wednesday’s game against Oxford Women’s. Despite an overall mixed season and a previous game close loss to Bristol (4-3), the Devils had reaped the benefits of match experience and knew Oxford was a team they could and should beat. Playing on home turf was also significant as Oxford only brought two lines so the Devils would have the advantage of numbers.

A charge from the opening face-off threatened to put Oxford in the lead but was dis-allowed, only to have them follow up with another before the first minute was up. Overconfidence or simply not being prepared gave the Devils a nasty shock. Continuing aggressive play from Oxford saw the Devils start on the back foot and slowly win back control of the game through hard-work. By the middle of the period the Devils were clearly on song. Early shots on goal, notably a breakaway by Mason (Captain #52), rattled the Oxford defence and their keeper. Shortly, top scorer Sofie Liljegren (#23) equalised unassisted. A few more opportunities were had, but the Devils failed to convert and ended the first period tied.

A laundry list of errors noted by bench coaches Dolan and Runcorn (#28 and #36 of the A-Team) put the Devils in their place and it was clear all should be working harder. The Oxford coach had clearly had some insightful words of his own as both teams returned to the ice playing proper hockey. Nevertheless, a solo effort by Barakat (#11) saw the Devils pull into the lead early on. Determined play by Oxford saw the Devils wait 10 minutes before scoring again, this time by Walther-B¸el (#87) from Barakat (#11) and Liljegren (#23). Frustrated, Oxford began to make some bad plays; #63 given two minutes for tripping put the Devils on Power Play. Sadly, Oxford knew what they were doing and played a tight defence, wasting time by deliberately icing the puck.

Overall, the second period had been much better and 3-1 in the lead the Devils were relatively safe with the freedom to hunt for more goals. Most of the errors had been eliminated and the team focused on using numbers to out-skate Oxford and make them tired. A long third period saw more physical play, but the Devils were shutting down the majority of Oxford attacks with some notable saves by Net Minder Bale (#84). A fourth goal by Barakat (#11) kept spirits high, but a dramatic incident occurred to Oxford when one of their players (#28) fell climbing onto the ice. Falling from waist-high boards she landed badly and injured her ankle – play was stopped while she was helped off the ice. Oxford appeared to have lost their motivation and the Devils dominated the remainder of the period. However, a tripping penalty by Oxford’s #32 prevented a last minute goal and the game ended 4-1 to the Devils. Player of the match went to Goalie Gemma Bale (#84). Oxford’s injured player was taken to hospital for precautionary x-rays as the paramedic’s diagnosis was that nothing appeared to be broken.