Getting tired and sick of the same old fast food? Here’s a change for your taste buds going into the toughest second term of your life.

Madsen, the Scandinavian restaurant located in the heart of South Kensington answers all foodie-related questions about our Northern neighbour’s cuisine.

With modern furniture and Scandinavian cookbooks neatly arranged on bookshelves, the red dining area coupled with blues music gives off a relaxing and comfortable vibe. Even before tucking in, it is hard not to notice the impeccable food presentation. Their famous Smushis (cold starters served on rye bread) are so delicious you wish that you could have it as your main too, especially the locally sourced Kassler ham selection that’s dressed with simple salad crème. The selection of herring fish as well as the honey mustard herring in particular, gives a whole new meaning to taste and texture.

Seeing as how this is a Scandinavian eatery, you cannot dine without the world famous meatballs! Unlike typical IKEA meatballs, Danish ones are far more succulent and juicy. Served with potato salad and deep fried carrots, this dish is the highlight of the day. Madsen’s next specialty is the fresh breaded plaice fillet. Fried to a tempting golden-brown shade, served on toast and topped with salmon and other seafood delights, it is a sheer stroke of perfection. The prawns, however, were less fresh, but one can hardly blame them as almost all prawns in the UK are of the frozen variety. Definitely try the beef patty on toast with pasteurized egg yolk. The yolk gives the tender patty extra depth of flavour and besides, who doesn’t like yolk?

To complete your Scandinavian experience, the Danish apple trifle is a must that will answer all cravings for Christmas trifle! Layers of stewed apple, cream and Amaretti biscuits makes this the best way to end your meal.

Madsen Restaurant 20 Old Brompton Rd,

London SW7 3DL. www.madsenrestaurant.com.

50% off at iconnectimperial.com