Silicon cases have been a dime-a-dozen ever since the original iPod. When you get to the iPhone 4, those same soft silicon cases haven’t really evolved very much. Sure they have cut outs now so you can access the buttons and the ports, but they’re still pretty poor.

The Cygnett SecondSkin for the iPhone 4 is no different. It’s a quick and easy fit silicon case that can be had in a variety of colours. In an attempt to differentiate it from the £2 eBay-specials, Cygnett have included a screen protector in the package as a welcome extra.

The SecondSkin is marketed as having a ‘soft, talky touch feel’ and while it’s slightly less tacky than your average silicon case, it still suffers from the age old problem of pocket jam as there’s simply too much friction. As a consequence, if you’re wearing jeans, it can be pretty difficult to get your phone out of your pocket when it rings, and when you do it’ll be covered in fluff and dust.

The SecondSkin isn’t as tightly fitting as you might like either, and can come off in a loose pocket, or bag. It’ll also let a load of dust and pocket debris get under the case, something that Apple’s worried is scratching and weakening the back glass of the iPhone 4. You can’t really get round that when you want a form-fitting case on your phone, but being a bit tighter and closer fitting could help.

For about £15 it’s not a bad case. It offers decent, if a bit thin, protection, while access to the buttons and ports is decent. It’s not that it’s a bad case, it’s just not great or cheap.