Games. They’re like gigantic, electric playgrounds. And like playgrounds, nowadays they’re all tarmac and cutesy wooden houses for the reception kids to play in, whereas we were lucky to have a bit of rusty old pipe to play catch with. At least that’s the impression I get from Alex Karapetian’s article in Monday’s Daily Felix, which seemed to imply that games are less engaging, less addicting and less related-to-cartoon-series than they used to be.

Despite understanding this point perfectly, I’ve seen videogames grow and evolve over the last decade into something unrecognisable. There are now large communities using them as art forms, engines for societal change, medical tools, learning aids, and most importantly a way to stave off boredom and entertain the mind. I’m happy to see gaming move on. Alex’s point is representative of how he feels; how many people his age feels. But it shouldn’t be a judgement on gaming itself.

To say that gaming has changed, and that we’ll no longer have tacky card game tie-ins, is probably true. But to say that this is a bad thing, or a sign of a weaker generation, is wrong

To say that gaming has changed, and that we’ll no longer have tacky card game tie-ins, is probably true. But to say that this is a bad thing, or a sign of a weaker generation, is wrong. My brother’s generation, ten years behind me, bonds through discussions of guns and special forces, rather than swords and sorcery. But the fifty hours he spent honing his quickscoping is no different, really, to the fifty hours I spent running Final Fantasy VIII. And at the heart of it is still the same human enjoyment of playing.

What’s exciting is that it’s not just the upcoming newer generations who are shaping the medium today, but also people of all ages who are slowly finding the right games and platforms for them. As more people join, weíre going to see even more diversification. But we’ll all still be sharing in something that, psychologically, is very similar – playing.

So here’s to moaning about the younger generation. But also a reminder that the games, like the kids, are alright.