Men with deep and manly voices are more likely to be judged as unfaithful by woman, compared to those with a higher vocal register – good news, perhaps, for Joe Pasquale.

The research, published in the journal Evolutionary Psychology, also found that women viewed the deeper voices as more sexually attractive. The voices of 49 males were digitally altered to create masculine and feminine versions, which were then rated by female volunteers.

Previous studies have linked testosterone, the male sex hormone, with attractiveness; high levels produce “sexy” features such as a strong chin and brow and larger muscle mass. It is also associated with voice pitch – more testosterone equals a more sonorous tone.

These individuals are more sexually attractive, and so more likely to be playing the field

The researchers believe that a deep voice is seen as unfaithful, because these individuals are more sexually attractive, and so more likely to be playing the field.

The study also showed that males are not totally to blame – men viewed woman’s voices that were altered to appear more feminine as likely to belong to an unfaithful individual. Oestrogen, like testosterone, is positively associated with attractiveness, and affects the pitch of the voice. In this case, higher oestrogen levels raise the pitch of a voice.

The study highlights a conflict of interest among sexual partners. Each wants the other to remain faithful, while simultaneously being free to pursue others. For males, this is to prevent cuckoldry, while for females it is the risk of STIs that create this demand for faithfulness.

This is the first study to show that voice pitch is but another tool in the arsenal of characteristics that we all use to judge one another’s value as a potential sexual partner.