On Friday the 18th of March Imperial College judo sent their elite squad of Judoka to fight in the British University Championships. On the journey up to Sheffield there were many hungry and thirsty players in the minibus, hoping to make their weight for the upcoming weekend. Thankfully, everyone made it and could relax after a long slog up the country and a rather large meal.

The tournament kicked on Saturday with the Individual’s Event, Imperial entered 4 Dan grades (black and brown belts) and six Kyu grades (green and blue belts). Despite the stiff competition, Tomasz Zamacinski (Kyu -81kg) fought incredibly well to bring home a gold medal winning a total of six fights. Alice Mitchell (Kyu -57kg) and Jake Woods (Kyu -66kg) also did well in their categories both earning Bronze medals. In the Kyu grades, missing out on the medals, were Adam Elwood, James Gutsell (both -81kg) and Phillip Rudden (-66kg). The Dan grades had an even tougher day but Marie de Parseval (-63kg) pulled out all the stops and beat off some of the country’s best female fighters to achieve a bronze medal. Matthew Scales (-66kg), Bronwyn Dawson (-57kg) and Eduoard Desclaux (-73kg) all fought courageously but missed out on medals in the huge Dan grade pools. Testaments to the quality of university judo were several international competitors in the Dan grade categories. Ed lost out on the Bronze medal to a Latvian international after winning five of his six previous fights.

The following day the team competitions ensued. Karl Brune (-90kg) and Silvère Lucquin (-73kg) joined the men’s team along with Ed, Matt and Tom. The team fought well in the pool, comfortably beating Manchester, Nottingham and Strathclyde and only losing to the gold medal winning Anglia Ruskin. Unluckily, we were draw against Plymouth, eventual bronze medallists, in the first knockout round and lost a close set of fights. Imperial were boosted later, however, with the success of the women’s team. Alice, Bronwyn and Marie convincingly beat Cambridge and Glasgow to secure a Bronze medal. This was an excellent performance considering Bronwyn’s shoulder injury and the other teams mainly consisting of Dan grades. They were unfortunately beaten at the semi final by some big ladies from Bath.

Throughout the weekend we had great support and guidance from the club coach Smudge and a big Irish fellow, Derek. With their guidance from the sidelines the great performances were made possible. A special congratulation is in order to Jake for winning his bet, forcing Smudge to wear the Sport Imperial Lion costume throughout Sunday. The weekend was topped off with a relaxed regional competition, where we banded together with Judoka from ULU and Middlesex as the London Team. We beat the North and South West, only losing out to Scotland to achieve a silver medal.

After much revelry and eating the Judo squad headed back to London battered and bruised but with pride intact. A great effort was made by everyone who fought and some great results, despite the team being plagued with injury. Imperial Judo is looking strong as ever, training starts now for BUCS next year!