Imperial’s own blues maestros, The Tin Can 44s, have released their first studio recording: a five-track gem called The Speak Easy EP. Everyone who attended the first Felix Music Night on the 19th of February will remember The Tin Cans as “that wild bunch of whiskey-swiggers” that kept us grooving during the totality of their tight, raw set. Pretty damn classy, indeed. Their EP was recorded over two day sessions at Alchemea Studios in Angel, Islington, and is available for free up on their Bandcamp.

All songs were written by bandleader Phil Overton, who possesses a God-given grace on the guitar, recalling the technical, Jazz-influenced guitar work of acts such as The Yardbirds. Whereas in concert their goal is clearly to make you dance till your feet fall off, on record the intricate level of their musicianship and the tightness of their act really becomes apparent: they chug through these five tracks like a well-oiled machine, fueled on whiskey.

Don’t get me wrong, tracks like ‘Bad Craziness’ and ‘Three Coats’ will make you boogie like a wookie, but it is in the softer moments of ‘Now They Know’ the band really shows how interesting their compositions and teamwork are. Overton’s Knopfler-esque riffing complements his end-of-the-line vocals – reminding this humble reviewer of early Dylan – whilst drummer Aaron Berk shows skillful restraint. Berk then tips the song into more rocky territory, leading into a crescendo of wild harmonica tomfoolery by the brilliant Box Car Joe.

‘Picket Song’ feels like the intro to a good old-fashioned Cowboy-bar brawl. ‘After The Show’ will make all the ladies want a piece of the action (“Get Laid Easy” tip number 34: learn to play this on the guitar).

All in all, an extremely solid debut, and a pleasure on the ears of anyone with a taste for bluesy folk.

Get the free EP on the band’s bandcamp The Tin Can 44s perform at an “acoustic circus” every Sunday in Whitechapel. Follow them on Facebook for more details.