After weeks of speculation and leaks regarding the next version of Microsoft’s flagship software, Windows 8 was previewed this week at the Computex Expo.

Most striking about the new operating system was the user interface, which has dropped the traditional Start menu and desktop combination in favour of a Windows Phone 7 style tile layout. The interface has won plaudits from many reviewers of their mobile devices and Microsoft has obviously attempted to channel this into their desktop software.

The OS is very touch-oriented, having obviously been designed keeping tablet compatibility in mind. With ARM based Windows 8 tablets on preview as well, it’s clear that the company is betting on demand for touch technologies at least equalling the market for devices with physical keyboards.

The preview revealed very little about changes under the hood, however. While the majority of new programs (or ‘apps’ as we’re now meant to call them) will be designed for the new interface, all the traditional programs can still be opened in the old interface should you require it.

Microsoft should be commended for making their first truly bold move in years, but it remains to see if their stodgy but vital business clientele appreciates it as much as they should.