When I eventually managed to walk through the doors of the Olivier Theatre, blocked up with crowds, I turned my head to the stage and that enchanting stage setting took me to the beginning of the twentieth century straightaway. I could see a living room with wooden walls cosily enlightened with candles, and a grand bookcase and sofas. As a history lover, I realised that I picked the right play to watch on my Bank Holiday weekend.

In 1904, the Russian dramatist and playwright Anton Chekov’s ‘The Cherry Orchard’ was performed for the first time shortly before his death. It was great to be able to watch this remarkable story with the main character, Madame Ranyevskaya, portrayed so ably by the well-known actress Zoë Wanamaker CBE. I am sure you are all familiar with the cheerful face of Wanamaker from her famous roles, think Madame Hooch in Harry Potter and the control freak mother Susan Harper in the British sitcom My Family.

So, the plot of ‘The Cherry Orchard’ takes place just before the Russian Revolution of 1917. The story starts when Madame Ranyevskaya returns bankrupt back to Russia with her daughter Anya, after spending ten extravagant years abroad.

She is the landowner of a beautiful ancestral property includ a house and the large cherry orchard in which the heroine grew up. However, as Ranyevskaya settles down to enjoy her nostalgic idyll, a merchant called Lopakhin, played by Conleth Hill, arrives to buy the orchard from under her and trash the orchard with new expensive holiday homes. Ranyevskaya, too engrossed in her heavenly home, ignores Lopakhin’s evil scheme and fails to stop Lophakin and other hostile forces from buying it and forcing her away from the beloved place.

Yet again, another role brilliantly performed by Zoë Wanamaker. She is truly amazing in engaging with her role and you can see that she feels every moment of the story, which becomes very important in allowing the audience to experience the story as if they were a part of it. The time period is mirrored very well with the aid of enthralling costumes and decorations. Despite the sadness of the story, the play is not lacking in moments of laughter throughout. If you are looking for an evening well-spent, ‘The Cherry Orchard’ is strongly recommended.

National Theatre until August, £12