I have been trying to pin down what is truly appealing about festivals. What makes them so hellishly fun and why do we go to them? Of course there can’t be just one answer. Part of the fun is getting away from ‘civilisation’ and going a bit mad for a few days; but after a while you can’t help but begrudgingly admit that civilisation, with its comfortable beds, warm showers, and clean clothes is actually pretty sweet. Obviously part of the fun is being with your mates; but it’s probably not necessary to point out that we don’t just see our mates once a year at Bestival. What really makes a festival worth going to, in my opinion, is the line-up. It’s the opportunity to see a whole load of the bands that you love one after another (as well as hopefully being pleasantly surprised by those that you haven’t heard of yet.)

Which is why a big smile came across my face when I saw the line-up for Field Day. It reads like a who’s who of the alternative music scene in London. My eyes initially darted to the names Jamie xx, James Blake, and Mount Kimbie. But as well as the leading lights of the movement that should or shouldn’t be labelled ‘post-dubstep’, I also saw some of the better indie bands around today, like Wild Beasts, Ducktails, and The Horrors.

Even if that were all there was in one day, this would be a festival worth going to. But then throw into the mix Kieran Hebden (of Four Tet fame) going deck to deck with James Holden. And then Matthew Dear to get some funky grooves flowing. On top of that, a personal favourite of mine is also on the line-up: Star Slinger. Oh and also Factory Floor. Oh and…

Ok I won’t go on ad nauseam. But as well as the amazing line-up, if we roll back through the reasons why festivals are fun, Field Day’s format actually makes it almost perfect. Since it’s a one-day festival, in Victoria Park in East London, it’s easy to get to. So actually you can arrange to go to it with those mates that maybe you don’t see as much as you should – the tickets are reasonably priced at £39.50. And while you do get to get away from civilization and romp around a park for a day, at the end of it all you can, if you want to, hop on a bus and sleep in a comfortable bed. A whole day packed with amazing artists and I don’t have to stand knee-deep in mud to brush my teeth in the morning; sounds perfect to me.