The Union has criticised the College’s decision to cut ties with the science lobby group CaSE, calling the decision “cynical” and suggesting that the Union itself could affiliate with the group independently.

In a statement to Felix, later posted online, Union President Alex Kendall praised the Campaign for Science and Engineering (CaSE) and said that the Union was “grateful” for the work it had done to support science research funding and to promote a “positive portrayal of science in the media.” He said that he was “discussing the possibility” of the Union joining CaSE so that the students of Imperial would still be represented by “the main lobby group for science and engineering.”

CaSE is regarded as having a pivotal role in the government’s decision to freeze and ring-fence the science research budget after the Comprehensive Spending Review, instead of cutting it in cash terms. It also led a campaign to win a generous settlement on immigration for researchers, meaning that although there is a cap on the total number of migrants, researchers are favoured significantly over other applicants.

Alex Kendall said that Imperial’s decision to “ditch” CaSE after the hard work they had done for the science community in the UK was a “very cynical move” that would “damage the unity needed to present a single voice on science and engineering funding.”

Imperial’s decision damages “damage the unity needed to present a single voice on science and engineering funding” Union President Alex Kendall

It is currently unclear as to whether the Union will be able to affiliate with CaSE. In an interview with Felix, CaSE director Imran Khan said that the Union’s gesture was “very appreciated” and that it was “humbling” that students wished to support CaSE. However, he was hesitant of setting a precedent of Student Unions affiliating instead of their parent universities. He said that they were still considering whether such a model could be sustainable as student unions. He was unable to shed any further light on Imperial’s decision, saying that there were no personal disagreements that he was aware of and that all of the feedback, prior to the decision, that CaSE had received from Imperial was positive.

Normally the Pro-Rector for Research at Imperial would liase with CaSE, but currently Imperial has nobody permanently filling that position. Professor David Begg, Principal of the Business School, has stood in since the departure of Sir Peter Knight from the position last autumn. When the Times Higher Education supplement first reported Imperial’s decision to cut ties, they pointedly referenced Imperial’s Pro-rector situation. A reporter for the Times Higher Education told Felix that it was unclear whether the reshuffle had anything to do with the decision, but added that he understood that the reluctance to renew membership came “right from the very top.”

The College did not add anything new to their previous statement, which explained that they felt the £3,000 subscription could be better directed to “core activities”, except to indicate that the decision was taken “collectively” and that it was up entirely up to the Union if it wanted to affiliate or not.