On Friday 25 November, 11 of Imperial College discDoctors’ finest men embarked on a campaign to compete against the other 15 best university indoor teams in the country. It was the weekend of Open Indoor Nationals and it carried the potential for discDoctors (dD) to earn some BUCS points for Imperial College.

dD’s first pool game on Saturday morning saw them facing the Manchester team, Halcyon. It proved to be a tough start against clinical opposition resulting in a 6-8 defeat. Oxford’s team, OW!, provided dD with their second game. After losing the first game dD wanted this one bad and came out with a fluid and organised offense. It was enough to claim an 8-6 win over the Champions of the Midlands region. The final pool game saw dD face Blaze from Sterling University. Imperial’s finest eventually won the game 6-5 by a gritty sudden-death point. Next up for dD were two power pool games, the first against Trinity College Dublin. dD’s constantly improving defence saw a lot of pressure placed on the Dubliners causing numerous turnovers and propelling Imperial to a comfortable win. The last game on Saturday saw dD take on Skunks from Southampton in the toughest game of the weekend. Skunk’s team had a lofty average height and they managed to use this to their advantage with an impressive long game. After a full day of Ultimate dD carried out classic tournament tradition and went for a team curry, complete with Chinese whispers in German!

discDoctors entered Sunday in 11th position and started the day with a crossover match against the team in 6th place, Haze from Loughborough. If Imperial won this game they’d be propelled into 6th place. dD came into this game fired up and with all guns blazing scoring a few points on the trot. When Haze finally woke up from their reverie, it was all a bit too late for a comeback giving dD a 6-3 win. This result put Imperial in the Top 8. The next match was a quarter finals game against the very physical team of Blaze from Dundee. dD had ups and downs in a very tight contest that saw Blaze come out on top through clinical and organised play to clinch a 6-8 victory. The penultimate matchup was against Sublime of Portsmouth University. This too proved to be a very tight game with both teams trying to slow each other down using zone defence. As both sides knew each other too well, zone proved a futile choice with the respective zones being worked through extremely patiently. Sublime managed to come out on top with a 5-7 victory. The final game of the tournament saw Imperial facing off once again with OW! It was a match that could have ended either way with the balance tipped in OW!’s favour resulting in a 7-9 loss.

After two days and nine intense games of Ultimate, Imperial discDoctors ended their Open Indoor National campaign in 8th position, with their first ever BUCS points for Imperial College.