Whole Foods Market is well known for organising great events for food lovers like me. Last week, I discovered that every Wednesday in January they have free cooking sessions. Without thinking it twice, I immediately sent an email to book a place for the January 18 class. Lucky me, I found two places, one for me and one for my friend.

This Wednesday’s theme was “Beans and Legumes”, so I was very excited to see what it was about. We went there half an hour earlier so that we wouldn’t miss a minute, but unfortunately we were pointed in the wrong direction. This resulted in losing about 10 minutes of the class until finding an employee who actually knew where it was.

Nevertheless, we finally found the right place and joined the class. Sarah, the healthy eating specialist of Whole Foods Kensington, was explaining why it is important to soak the beans before cooking and the different soaking times for various kinds of beans. She gave very useful advice, for example if you add some oil when they start to boil then they will not create the foam they usually have. Also, everybody had the chance to try red kidney beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans and a lot more!

I can now cook beans perfectly thanks to the advice of the lovely Sarah.

At the end of the session, they offered a goody bag to everyone there, including mung beans, red curry paste, coconut drink and several recipes.

I recommend you go to the next class but book places soon to avoid disappointment.

Classes are held every Wednesday 19:15 – 20:00 and they will continue in February too, but with an extra cost of 5 pounds. And, please, if the staff tell you to go downstairs, ignore them and go upstairs and you’ll find it!

www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/kensington 63-97 Kensington High Street, W8 5SE [email protected]