With an impressive 3-1 pre-season victory over RUMS 2nd XI last week, IC 2s arrived at Harlington keen to keep up the high standard of hockey and register a win in our first competitive fixture of the season. Having been defeated at the end of last season in a close-fought Varsity match, we were wary of the threat posed by the ICSM 2s.

After a rather longer than expected warm-up while we waited for the umpire to arrive, the match got underway with both sides moving the ball around well in midfield, though without posing much threat to either goal. As the half progressed, IC began to impose themselves on the game and after a period of possession managed to make the breakthrough. A well worked long corner routine delivered the ball to right back BM-Briggs on the 25-yard line, who fired in a trademark hit into the crowded penalty area. Several IC forwards attempted to deflect the delivery into the goal, however it was an ICSM defender who managed to get the final touch and unfortunately put the ball into his own net.

IC continued to pile on the pressure throughout the half but it was by no means a one-sided match, ICSM looking particularly dangerous down their right hand side with some excellent stick skills from their right-back who was a constant threat overlapping down the wing. However some solid defending, particularly from 2nd XI debutant Lars Mejnertsen who (fractured a thumb in the process) ensured that the IC keeper remained untroubled. As the second half drew to a close, the IC pressure began to tell with the game increasingly played in the ICSM half. A series of short-corners led to two solid saves from the ICSM keeper denying the IC drag-flicker CBE from a first goal of the season, but IC would not be kept out for long. CBE dummied a drag-flick and slipped the ball left to Brickney who struck a firm shot past the helpless ICSM keeper, courtesy of a slight deflection off a defenders stick.

IC were not as dominant as they had been against RUMS the week before, but crucially managed to capitalise on good possession and build up play to finish the half 2-0 up. The second half started scrappily with IC perhaps a little complacent having ended the first half with a comfortable lead. ICSM had their first truly dominant period of the game, only some excellent last-ditch tackles from ‘Fresher’ Mikey in particular and some poor finishing on the part of the medics kept the IC goal untouched. Despite the pressure it was IC who again made the breakthrough, a well-worked short corner led to a simple tap-in for Fresher Mikey to make it 3-0 and soon afterwards the victory was confirmed by another goal from the very same man. The ICSM keeper made an excellent save but was helpless to prevent Fresher Mikey from scoring his third in two games – not a bad return from a defensive midfielder!

ICSM continued to press for a consolation goal, and it was only a magnificent save from the IC goalkeeper diving high to his right hand side that denied an excellent drag flick in the closing moments of the game. The final highlight of the game was an outrageous aerial from the IC left-back Meatspin, it was difficult to decide which more surprising; the fact that he had tried to throw an aerial or that it had actually worked! Either way, his arrogance on top of another solid performance at the back was rewarded with a well-deserved Man-of-the-Match award. The match finished 4-0 to IC and while the scoreline was not an adequate representation of what was actually a very closely fought match, IC will be delighted to have scored three goals from short-corners as this was a particular weakness last season. The effort and intensity of the whole team was excellent throughout, and an ICSM team that is always good going forwards was countered with a very good press and good defensive work throughout the team. IC will be hoping to build on the unbeaten start to thie season and with the introduction of several promising freshers into an already strong team, it looks to be an exciting year ahead for IC Hockey 2s!