6. Roger Moore

It’s about quality, not quantity, which is why, even after 7 films, more than any actor has so far managed, Moore finds himself on the bottom of our “Best Bond” list. He lacked the suave charisma of Connery, and

… turned the franchise into a bit of a camp joke… he has the silliest, most dreadful 007 films under his name.

turned the franchise into a bit of a camp joke. Sure he had more potential when it came to comedy but there is no denying that he has the silliest, most dreadful 007 films under his name. Plus towards the end of his run, he looked so old and frail that it was simply embarrassing for him to be saving the world.

5. George Lazenby

Famous for being the only Bond who actually managed to tie the knot (although that didn’t last very long), he’s also the only Bond actor to only complete a single feature. The reason? He had big shoes

He had big shoes to fill after the original Connery

to fill after the original Connery. And due to his lack of experience in the film industry (he worked as a model before this), very little consideration was given to him as a leading actor at the time. Plus the critics and audience weren’t too keen on an Australian playing Britain’s favourite spy. So he left.

4. Timothy Dalton

Probably the most similar in nature to what the books, and therefore Ian Fleming, originally intended, Dalton was the first to step in to put a fresh new spin on the series after Moore turned it into a farce

… the audience back then wasn’t ready for such a radical, serious, blood-splattering [film]

with his geriatric behaviour towards the end of his run. Dalton himself only lasted for two films, as we suspect the audience back then wasn’t ready for such a radical, serious, blood-splattering (his second film is still the highest age-restricted Bond film), which is a shame.

3. Daniel Craig

Craig went through a lot of harsh criticism after his name was announced to take over the franchise. “Boring” was one of the words he was called, and his blonde hair was also a subject of much

… injecting a lot more brooding, and much needed serious energy into a series of films that was getting sillier and sillier

scrutiny. Dame Judi Dench (M) came to his defense, giving him her seal of approval. Then came November 2006, when Craig proved his critics wrong with the excellent Casino Royale. It was a franchise reboot, injecting a lot more brooding, and much needed serious energy into a series of films that was getting sillier and sillier.

2. Pierce Brosnan

Possessing the ultimate suave and cheeky charisma, he is the slyest one of them all, although when it comes to carrying out his missions, he doesn’t go into them half-heartedly. Recent data compiled by

Possessing the ultimate suave and cheeky charisma, he is the slyest one of them all

The Economist ranks him as the Bond who has done the most killing, which must mean he’s cool… because he’s trigger-happy… with both his gun… and his other prized possession. He may be Irish, but clearly he’s got fans down here in the Felix office.

1. Sean Connery

Surprised? No? Neither are we. It’s hard to beat originals, and Connery certainly proves that. He’s one of the main reasons the franchise got off to such a remarkable start, giving the MGM Studios a

… he was educated in the ways of being “dapper, witty, and above all, cool.” And clearly it was time well spent, as he pulls it off flawlessly

firm seal of approval that 007 is a franchise worth sticking with. Six actors were chosen and screen tested for the role, and the then 30-year-old Scottish actor won out, after which he was educated in the ways of being “dapper, witty, and above all, cool.” And clearly it was time well spent, as he pulls it off flawlessly.